Wednesday, March 03, 2010

First Wednesday Book Review Club




Click icon for more
book review blogs
@Barrie Summy

A COLD DAY IN PARADISE, Steve Hamilton

Alex McKnight owns a small group of cabins in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. His cabins are rented by hunters, hiker and those passing through. A former Detroit police officer, he's escaped north after a nasty case that saw his partner killed by a lunatic. Alex's testimony helped to put the felon behind bars at Jackson State prison.

Reluctantly, he is persuaded to do a little detective work by an old friend. He's also helping to protect another friend from the demon hold of gambling. This situation is complicated by a brief affair between Alex and the gambler's wife.

Two bookmakers die.

These story lines along with the possibility that the felon, called Rose (and leaving hints for Alex that he's in Paradise), is coming after him make for a suspenseful story.

Especially good is the evocation of the UP in Michigan and the creation of a likable yet realistic series hero. He has his own demons, his own reason for hiding out in the middle of nowhere.

Hamilton won several awards for this, his first book. He's gone on to write more novels about McKnight and recently a standalone. Highly recommended. Especially for those from the midwest who will relate to the setting.

13 comments:

George said...

Steve Hamilton and I shared a cab at the Bouchercon in Milwaukee a few years ago. Very nice guy.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Always nice to hear that. From the protagonist, I would have guessed it.

YA Sleuth said...

Sounds like an interesting book. I always love to read an author's first novel, not sure why.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Me, too. If I am only going to read one book by someone, I try to find the first. It may not be the best but it's probably the most heartfelt.

Scott D. Parker said...

I'm with Fleur and Patti: first books are, perhaps, the most important snapshot in a writer's life. Now, seeing as I know nothing about the UP and I like crime fiction, this one seems to fit both bills.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I think you will like it, Scott. I can't think of a place more different than Texas than the UP.

Rose said...

Sounds like a great read, Patti. Most of the crime fiction I read seems to be set in California or out East; Michigan's Upper Peninsula would be an interesting setting.

I just saw your last post about book titles. One of my favorite finds in the last year was "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society." Before I'd even seen it in reviews, the quirky title caught my eye, and I knew I had to read it.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Our book group is reading that in May. I'm looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

That does sound cool. In this day when it seems like everybody lives online, it's especially interesting to read about a character who hides out. What a great escape!

Barrie said...

Oh, Patti, this does sound good. And I'm so in the mood for a decent mystery. Thank you.

Kitty said...

I picked up the paperback "A Cold Day In Paradise" because of the cover. I read the first page and fell in love. I've read every Alex McKnight book. I heard there may be a movie in the works, but that rumor is now several years old. siiiigh

...

pattinase (abbott) said...

Despite my one author/one book rule, I am tempted to read more about Alex.

Sarah Laurence said...

Patti, I like your new banner – very noir. Your review is succinct and gives me a good sense of the book – nicely done!