Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Short Story Wednesday; "THE BLIGHT" by Emma Cline from the NEW YORKER


 This is an excerpt from Cline's forthcoming novel, SWITZY. It is completely satisfying in its self. A man is journeying to Switzerland to end his life. He has dementia and has gone as far as he cares to go. Once there, he has dinner with his daughter who doesn't seem to realize how far his disease has progressed. He covers up as much as he can and it feels like he never really has a close relationship with her so it is easier than you expect. Very moving and I will read the book when it debuts this fall. Who does not know someone with dementia now? So much familiar in its path. 

TracyK 

George Kelley 

Jerry House 

6 comments:

TracyK said...

I read this story by Emma Cline this week also. The excerpt encouraged me to read Switzy soon.

My SSW post is on two stories from a Crime Writers' Association anthology edited by Martin Edwards, MIDSUMMER MYSTERIES. The post is at this link:

https://bitterteaandmystery.blogspot.com/2026/08/short-story-wednesday-stories-from.html

Jeff Meyerson said...

I will finish the Sigrid Nunez collection (IT WILL COME BACK TO YOU) today. One creepy story - "The Plan," about a guy planning to murder his wife - but otherwise a pretty good collection.

Margot Kinberg said...

This got my attention right away, Patti. I haven't heard much about Emma Cline since The Girls, and I'm really interested in what's ahead for her.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Her last book was good too.

George said...

I just finished reading the latest issue of THE NEW YORKER. There's a funny article on THE NEW YORK TIMES dealing with the movie THE ODYSSEY. I also enjoyed the cartoons. None of the stories resonated with me....

Todd Mason said...

Bobbi Chukran mentioned elsewhere tearing into some new (I believe) reading for her, stories she hadn't read by Robert Bloch and E. F. Benson, two of my great favorites from age 8 through today, not long after passing my 62nd orbit around the Sun. Past time I gather up some more of theirs I haven't read, among others'...as well as more new folks' work. And other old favorites'...