Lots of hot, dry weather. And so much humidity. Watching THE TRUTH WILL OUT on Prime, a Scandy show about a depressed cop. Aren't they all about that? I like it though. Watched one TED LASSO, I am not sure it's going to work. Finishing up ANNE WITH an E,
Reading WHISTLER-one of my favorite writers. Also JOHN OF JOHN.
I found the list of the 50 best thrillers of the century pretty good. I certainly agree with GONE GIRL as number one. It was original, beautifully written and exciting and it did new things with two unreliable narrators. Most of the choices were exceptional in some way. I was surprised Louise Penney wasn't on it but I think it's because none of her books stand out from the rest. Overall she would certainly be chosen for her entire oeuvre but not so much any one book. Same with a lot of writers.
My book group has a good time talking about YESTERYEAR although no one really loved it. Sometimes it's the ones that are flawed that make the best discussion.
So what's new with you?


18 comments:
Glad you've been enjoying your reading, Patti. And you've reminded me that would like to see Anne With an E. People keep telling it's good.
We've been having plenty of rain lately, though fortunately we live in an area where there hasn't been the problem with flooding other areas have had.
Wish I could agree on GONE GIRL, but I disliked it. She's no Agatha Christie. I did like the thriller list in general, even though it doesn't really reflect my taste.
Loved WHISTLER. Not going to read YESTERYEAR.
We saw the off-Broadway revival of Wendy Wasserstein's weakest play (probably), AN AMERICAN DAUGHTER (originally 1997). We didn't love it the first time, but even so, this production had issues. I don't remember ever going to the theater where the miking was so low that we had trouble hearing the dialogue (my hearing is fine, I hasten to add), but two of the actors- including the star, unfortunately- were low talkers. Jackie complained at intermission and the guy turned the sound up a little, but... Funny how actors like Robert Sean Leonard and Dakin Matthews and Mary Beth Piel were perfectly understandable.
The show itself may have seemed "of this time" enough to revive now - a Surgeon General nominee has to withdraw her name because (1) she once failed to return a jury summons notice and (2) people accused her of insulting stay at home housewives.
It's no HEIDI CHRONICLES, let alone SISTERS ROSENSWEIG.
We watched THE TRUTH WILL OUT a few years ago. We finished the very good Welsh series, THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY, which had a real surprise in the end that we didn't see coming. A second series has been commissioned. Also finished the Canadian DEPARTURE (2029, first of three series), which was OK. Will finish series two of SUGAR (first series was way better) tonight.
We have our annual checkup today.
My finely-wrought comments just vanished into the ether because my comments and the internet both hate me with a passion. I brief, this is what I said:
- weather good, beach good, my cataract-free left eye also good -- for the first time in over two years I was able to make out dolphins in the water.
- went searching for suit jackets for Erin's wedding; mine is supposed to be pastel lavender, which is fine because I am secure in my masculinity. Nothing of the sort available in the area so I will have to go online and hope for the best; I have until April to get it right.
- family book club yesterday, complete with a yummy S'mores bar with six different kinds of treats. We discussed JURASSIC P:ARK, both the novel and the film. Next month's book, as per Amy, will be DUNGEON CRAWLER CARL.
- finally finished the tricky jigsaw puzzle I picked up for a buck at a used book store; it was cut so the wrong p[ices fit exactly into the wrong spots so I had to keep changing things until I got it right. I ended up with just one piece missing from the puzzle, which was very good for a used puzzle, and one piece that did not appear to go with the puzzle at all.
- Jack starts school today as part of the inaugural freshman class in the new high school. Snafus and stupidity on the part of the administration (all worthy of a post of its own) do not bode well for the coming year. **sigh**
- Early primary voting this week. I'll be voting the bastards out and trying not to vote new bastards in.
- Books read in Andrew Vachss's DEAD AND GONE (my FFB), John Saul's BLACK LIGHTNING, Lee Goldberg's MURDER BY DESIGN, Martin Edward's anthology METROPOLITAN MURDERS, and Felicia Day's graphic novel THE LOST DAUGHTER OF SPARTA. Currently reading CLEMMIE, a 1958 offering from John D. MacDonald.
This past week also marked four year since Kitty left us. I miss her face. I kiss her laugh. i miss putting my arms around her. I may be the luckiest man on Earth because I has her for 52 years and she truly remains with me even now.
Have a great week, Patti. hold on to those you love and the memories of those you have lost.
Please excuse the spelling and the typing. I may not have entered my dotage but my fingers surely have.
Jerry, I hope the rest of us will get to see a picture of you in pastel lavender.
I think GONE GIRL is harder to like if you need a likable character because there is none.
My brother wore maroon at his wedding. It seems odd today. Black always prevails.
I like that you Kiss her Laugh, Jerry. So poetic.
ANNE really confronts social problems much more than LITTLE HOUSE. I am sorry it was cancelled after 3 seasons.
I had to wear a powder blue tux at Jackie's sister's wedding in 1977.
Rain, rain, and more rain here in Western NY. On the Plus Side, the rain washes out some of the dreaded pollen that trigger my allergies.
We're starting out in the 80s this week, but the temps are headed to the 70s for the weekend when Katie will fly in to attend the Baptism of one of her friend's baby. Katie flies in on Saturday morning and flies back to Boston on Sunday night. Quick visit! Plus she loves her "new" car!
I'm still on my never-ending Quest to read all the Library books stacked up. Diane and I have watched the first two seasons of THE CHELSEA DETECTIVE. Entertaining!
Diane and Katie read WHISTLER and loved it! Stay safe!
What a great friend to fly in for a baptism? It is finally raining here.
I wanted to sit and watch a full film on TV this weekend and never did it. I did get back to WIDOW'S BAY and it's a decent show. I saw the recent season of IT'S ALWAYS SUNNY IN PHILADELPHIA and enjoyed that.
Heard some audios.
- IN WATERMELON SUGAR by Richard Brautigan was okay. If it were much longer than the 2 hours I may have bailed out. I'll try to read to his big 1967 hit, TROUT FISHING.
- MASK OF THE DEER WOMAN by Laurie L Dove. Kinda mid-level-meh. Disgraced Chicago cop takes only job she can get which is on a tribal reservation in Oklahoma.
- HOUSE OF CORRECTION by Nicci French was very solid and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Rural English woman arrested for murder has all sorts of mental issues and conducts her own investigation into the small-town murder from her jail cell as she awaits trial.
Meanwhile, my wife and I visited Boy #1 in Minneapolis for a long weekend and had a pretty good time. Visited some parks and breweries.
This weekend Boy #2 moves into his first apartment before starting his Junior year. We've been getting him equipped over the past month or two.
Also, the weather has mostly been awful. With much higher than usual heat and humidity.
We have been watching some good shows / movies. Last night we watched FIFTH ELEMENT for the umpteenth time, with Bruce Willis, Milla Jovovich, Ian Holm, and Gary Oldman. I am just amazed at the various types of characters that Oldman can play. We finished the first season of YOU'RE KILLING ME. Tonight we will watch the first episode of the new season of THE CHELSEA DETECTIVE.
Glen is close to finishing his nonfiction book HOUSE OF FICTION by Phyllis Richardson. He is also reading MY FAVORITE THING IS MONSTERS, VOL. 1 by Emil Harris. A very long graphic novel. The art is very good but otherwise he is not liking it.
I am now reading MORTMAIN HALL by Martin Edwards. Second book in the Rachel Savernake mystery series; set in 1930. 400 pages long and I am not very far into it. It starts out on London's Necropolis Railway, which was interesting. I did not know anything about that until Glen told me more about it. It was a train operated especially to transport coffins and mourners from London to a new cemetery in Surrey.
So that's it. Our cat London had problems throwing up all day Friday and we were worried but the rest of the weekend he was OK and he is just a little lethargic today. It has not been as hot here lately but still I have problems spending much time out in the sun.
Kevin is also moving into an apartment in Madison. Although he will have a roommate. I like Nicci French.
Oldman is amazing. Do you and Glen finish books you don’t like?
As a rule, Glen finishes all the books he starts. Even if he has to slog through a book. In the last few months, he did have one he gave up on, A DISTANT MIRROR by Barbara Tuchman. He really wanted to like but he gave up at 18 pages.
I almost always finish any book I start, but I might give up on 2-3 books a year. Sometimes for reasons like torture scenes, sometimes because a book is too silly and I don't care about the characters. There were times I wanted to give up on MIDDLEMARCH but I just had to see why so many people are enthusiastic about it. So I finished it and I was glad.
I don't finish a lot of books. I almost sample them and then weigh if the writing, voice and characters are worth spending time with. I do finish my book club books though.
Patti, I have a lot of books on my shelves (or in boxes) that I have had around 10 years and not read. I should try your approach to clear out those books.
Did Kevin a fancy new(er) apartment? The real estate market is pricey in Madison and has plenty of new apartment buildings. Boy #1 selected an efficiency in an older house.
I've gotten much better at quitting books.
there is a main room with a kitchenette and a room off each side and a bath.
Post a Comment