Monday, July 08, 2024

R.I P Steve Oerkfitz



I am so very sorry to have to tell you that Steve Oerkfitz apparently died. I was about to email him to see why we hadn't heard from him and I went on facebook to check if he'd been active there and there was a note from one of his daughters that he had died. I know Steve always expected to die young from childhood diabetes but this is quite a shock. That is all the information I have but I will check again to see if she posts more.  I believe Steve was 76. He was a manager at both Borders and Barnes and Noble over the years. He had a B.A. in English from Oakland University (MI) and was an avid reader and movie fan. He was a kind man who delighted in his children, grandchildren and a great grandchild.

7 comments:

Jeff Meyerson said...

No! That's a real shock. I know Steve had health issues but not like that. So sorry to hear that.

RIP

Todd Mason said...

Thanks for that sad news. Sorry I never corresponded with him much, as a former Borders Office Manager among other mutual interests.

Very sorry for the loss for those who knew him better.

Todd Mason said...

I see he was also in the Dork Forest Rangers group, with me, on Fb, which is a discussion group around Jackie Kashian's podcast THE DORK FOREST, and related matters.

I put a link up in the Borders former staff Fb group.

Jerry House said...

Sad news. I enjoyed his comments on your blog. He seemed to be a wonderful guy who will be missed by many.

TracyK said...

Thanks for sharing that information, Patti. I had noticed his absence on the Monday posts recently, and hoped he was not ill. I will miss his comments and contributions.

Margot Kinberg said...

Very sorry to hear this!

Diane Kelley said...

Like you, I was getting concerned that Steve hadn't left any comments on my blog for a while. Now this sad news! We'll all miss Steve!