Friday, January 12, 2024

FFB: MY BEST SCIENCE FICTION STORY. Edited by Margulies and Friend

 (from the archives: reviewed by Bill Crider)

Forgotten Books: My Best Science Fiction Story -- Edited by Leo Margulies & Oscar J. Friend

Is anyone but old guys like me interested in the history of certain genres these days? I've seen blog posts from whippersnappers who don't have any interest at all in reading the older books in their area of interest.  I can understand, however, since I have little interest in reading the newer ones.

But for somebody who does care about the history of SF, this would seem to be an essential book. It's fun because of the stories, of course, but each writer provides a short introduction to explain why a particular story was picked for the collection. (My favorite line in these is the final one in Henry Kuttner's intro: "Anyway, my wife wrote it.")

You have to wonder, considering the date of the collection (1949) if the writers would have chosen different stories later on in their careers. Too bad they're not around to ask. Cheap copies abound around the Internet, so why not pick one up an give it a try. See if you agree with the authors' choices.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This appears to be the paperback edition. There is a much larger hardcover edition (25 stories and 556 pages). Postwar science fiction anthologies tended to be huge. I would be surprised if C.L. Moore had actually written Don't Look Now. I have read the great majority of the stories she wrote prior to her marriage and she did not have a funny bone in her entire body. She really had only two themes: vampirism and the fall of empires.

Jerry House said...

Interestingly, I posted the radio version of the Pratt story on my blog yesterday.

Todd Mason said...

Reductionist take on Moore. And Kuttner and Moore were pretty enmeshed as collaborators after their marriage, so even if this early story was all Kuttner, he could well've been joking.

Todd Mason said...

That is to say, the degree of their collaboration on nearly everything was no secret.