Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Short Story Wednesday


(from the archives)

Sarah Weinman reviews mysteries for the New York Times. This review predates that as well as her many non-fiction books on true crime. 

 

Thom Jones: The Pugilist at Rest: Stories. This short story collection is 30 years old and it feels like it was written this past year. It blew me away with its searing depictions of army members in the midst of cracking up, women caught in self-destructive relationships, and other people locked into patterns that are destined to repeat themselves and produce worlds of hurt. Jones lived and hurt for years before he produced the stories that made up this 1993 collection, and even though a couple more volumes of stories followed, it really feels like he's been off the radar for years. Hopefully he'll be back soon with more tales of the dark side of reality.

 

Todd Mason 

George Kelley 

Jerry House 

TracyK 

Casual Debris 

10 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

I've not read Jones' work before. I'll have to give it a try.

Todd Mason said...

Sarah Weinman has indeed gone from one good thing to another...

George said...

I've heard about Sara Weinman but haven't read her work. I'll have to rectify that!

pattinase (abbott) said...

Sarah is pretty amazing. Her book on the real Lolita is great.

Todd Mason said...

Thom Jones's first professional publication, as I recall, was in THE MAGAZINE OF FANTASY AND SF...his agent (most likely) or he chose to be embarrassed by this later on.

https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?61265 (the issue with Leo and Dianne Dillon's lovely cover for Harlan Ellison's "The Deathbird"--worth the look by itself.)

Todd Mason said...

Sticky key again--she's Diane Dillon.

Casual Debris said...

Good morning,

Please include mine for this week as well: https://casualdebris.blogspot.com/2023/12/casual-shorts-isfdb-top-short-fiction_12.html

Thanks

Jeff Meyerson said...

I missed her review and don't know Thom Jones's work at all. But will check it out. The library has several of his books.

I did finish the Lore Segal collection. Lydia Davis, a writer I've read, highly recommended Lucia Berlin's A MANUAL FOR CLEANING WOMEN: Selected Stories, for which she also wrote the foreword. These are clearly at least partly autobiographical - living in the Southwest, laundromats, alcoholic with an alcoholic mother, four children, etc. She was a good writer.



pattinase (abbott) said...

I have a Lydia Davis collection I have never opened. Shame on me. I read at the Berlin thing but not enough. You might be the most widely-read short story reader in the country.

TracyK said...

You keep adding to my long list of short story writers to look out for. I can add his name to my "look for at at the book sale" list and if I am unsuccessful there, I will buy online.

I have ordered a (reasonably priced) copy of the Lily King book that you talked about last year, FIVE TUESDAYS IN WINTER.