Wednesday, October 11, 2023

SHORT STORY WEDNESDAY "Silver Water" Amy Bloom

 


https://bdhs.wayne.k12.in.us/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/silver_water_by_amy_bloom.pdf

 

An essay in the Sunday NYT discussed this story and what it meant to the author of the piece in learning how to write.  Amy Bloom has always been a favorite of mine and I surely have read this one before in various collections. 

The story begins with the older of two sisters, a teenager, breaking into an aria in the parking lot of an opera house where they have just seen La Traviata. The applause at the end from others patrons returning to their cars, is about the last happy note in this story, which feels too real not to be at least somewhat based on Bloom's life. (Although she trained as a psychotherapist too)

Rosa has a psychotic breakdown soon after that incident and the rest of the story details her family's attempts (so many, so lovingly) to get her help. Her illness disrupts all of their lives (her father himself is a therapist) and her mother probably suffering from a lesser mental illness.

The ending is not unexpected but it does raise a question. What would you have done? 

I know this sort of story isn't for everyone, but I like stories that examine issues around us. Although comic or other types of stories are welcomed too. 

Jerry House

George Kelley 

TracyK 

Steve Lewis 

Still unable to comment on Jerry's post. What am I doing wrong? 

11 comments:

Todd Mason said...

I shall read this story soon, as I attempt to index the huge issue of TRIQUARTERLY, probably their first huge and most interspersed issue, while also treating with the others I have indexed but would like to read more of...thanks for the ex link! School postings, like YouTube, can be a blessing...

Todd Mason said...

This one has a variant English translation of Borges's short, brutal story, "The Intruder" among much else of note...depressing stories can be less soul-deadening, somehow, than depressing A/V, drama as well as news, and I wonder why that might be.

Margot Kinberg said...

Oh, I haven't read this one, Patti. And that's an interesting setting and context for a story.

Casual Debris said...

Good morning, Another one I am unfamiliar with.

Mine for this week is up: https://casualdebris.blogspot.com/2023/10/casual-shorts-isfdb-top-short-fiction.html

Thanks,
Frank

Jerry House said...

I wish I could help you out with commenting on my posts, Patti, but I'm flummoxed. In the meantime I will just assume that everything you have to say is complimentary.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I read several of Bloom's collections last year (though it seems longer ago).

I started (but returned) an overly dark collection edited by lightness herself, Joyce Carol Oates, A DARKER SHADE OF NOIR. It did have Megan Abbott's creepy but good "Scarlet Ribbons."

Currently read a new Joe R. Lansdale collection, THINGS GET UGLY. Joe is never not interesting to read, even in stories I don't care for, like "Six-Finger Jack" or "The Ears." But when he hits one, like "Driving to Geronimo's Grave," it's really good. And then there are the outrageous stories like "Mr. Bear." The narrator gets on a plane and finds his seatmate is a bear, period. No one seems to take any notice that a bear in pants and a hat, a bear that talks, is on their flight, and his behavior gets more and more outrageous. He hits on the flight attendant (and calls her a lesbian when she turns down his advances), drinks to excess, and ultimately takes the narrator home with him to continue drinking at his place in Yellowstone. Great stuff.

pattinase (abbott) said...

And it is, Jerry. Plus I read the posts.
I love stories like that, Jeff. I have to go read it.

Jeff Meyerson said...

It's in THINGS GET UGLY: THE BEST CRIME STORIES OF JOE R. LANSDALE.

It was originally in BLOOD LITE: AN ANTHOLOGY OF HUMOROUS HORROR STORIES PRENTED BY THE HORROR WRITER'S ASSOCIATION (2008), edited by Kevin Anderson.

TracyK said...

Another author to add to my list of short story books to look for. As far as I remember, I haven't read anything by her. I will put it on next year's list to look for at the book sale, because I cannot add any more to my piles right now.

I like all kinds of short stories too. Sometimes the sad, serious ones depress me, but as long as the writing is good, that is fine.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I downloaded the Lansdale on my kindle. It is crazy how many unread books are on it.

Todd Mason said...

Tobias Wolf PARIS REVIEW i/v free read, for now: https://www.theparisreview.org/interviews/5391/the-art-of-fiction-no-183-tobias-wolf