Friday, September 01, 2023

FFB: MISS ALUMINUM, Susanna Moore

 


Susannah Moore is a novelist, perhaps best known for her dark novel, IN THE CUT. But this is a memoir published in 2020. Not really forgotten, but a review I wanted to get on here so I don't forget it. This book details her rather difficult early years, especially the ones she spent with a wicked stepmother. But it is also discusses her modeling career and her years in Hollywood (sixties and seventies mostly) where she was never quite successful but charming and smart perhaps because she is a frequent dinner guest at A list parties.. 

She is candid about not being a very good actress, but enjoyed meeting the stars of the time. Lots of stuff about Roman Polanski, for instance. It is well -written and I will enjoy reading in another volume about her transition to novel writing. The memoir skips around in time more than I like but was quite good.

4 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

This does sound interesting, Patti. In a way, I like what sounds like her honesty in the memoir - not too self-aggrandizing.

TracyK said...

I have not heard of Susanna Moore, either as an author or an actress, but she sounds very interesting and I can see how this would be a good read. Some of her novels sound pretty good, just based on brief descriptions.

Todd Mason said...

Looks like I've had a vanishing comment here.

Todd Mason said...

This was (most) of the text...
I liked IN THE CUT, the novel much better than the film adaptation (and first read an excerpt from it in the appropriate-year volume of Susie Bright's BEST AMERICAN annual). I suspect that she indeed was a habitué of such gatherings because those who throw them often (and frequently not for the best reasons) appreciate having persuadable conventionally-beautiful women around, and her wit and charm would be bonuses...likewise, I have to wonder if meeting Roman Polanski isn't a mixed bag at the best of times...

(it seems your blog doesn't care for the nature of Bright's annual! Removing the key descriptive word got it posted on another post.)