Wednesday, April 12, 2023

AIR (or Podiary)

My original reaction to this film was fairly positive. It held my interest, the acting was good, the direction crisp. I knew a lot about Michael Jordan after watching THE LAST DANCE so I didn't need a movie that centered on him. But after a few days thought and after reading other reviews of it, I am less enthusiastic. Although I realized right away that it was far too positive about corporations and capitalism,  I thought the story was interesting enough to overcome that. But by now, I think it was basically one long commercial for Nike and their shoes. The movie made the corporate bigwigs far too noble, far too clever. Anyone else see it?

5 comments:

Todd Mason said...

Not yet. If it pops up on cable for no extra charge...even the promo on chat shows does seem to suggest that it's full of adulation.

George said...

I taught MARKETING for decades and one of the topics many of my students enjoyed most was my lectures on NIKE and their commercials and product strategy. NIKE made billions on all those Michael Jordan sneakers over the years. And super fans collect the sneakers and drive up the price. Normally, I would see AIR on its Opening Day, but like Todd I'm going to sit tight and wait until AIR shows up on one of my subscription streaming services.

Jeff Meyerson said...

From the second I saw the preview of this I was repulsed. They made a self-aggrandizing movie about sneakers! WTF? And act like these were some great heroes, like Jonas Salk or other great medical pioneers. Even for free on television, this one gets a PASS from me.

pattinase (abbott) said...

And yet I was seduced by a good cast and good direction and didn't understand what I was watching. And so were a lot of reviewers because it has a high score on RT.

Todd Mason said...

Yeah, I'm willing to give it a shot! I just have low expectations, so might like it better than I expected. (Jordan's obsessive competitiveness, even if it did help him become One of the best basketballers ever, seems rather sad to me; and corporate moguls, even when they only Rather Well Off Already, are not among my usual Rooting-for Heroes category.)

RT, which Hates tv series ANIMAL CONTROL and (slightly more understandably, but not altogether justly) TRUE LIES (and on some of my favorite apparent "critics' darlings" of late shows amusing splits along the lines of 88% critics v. 32% viewers--I know this since Verizon pays them for the privilege of tagging all the rated programming with their percentages), still is not a source of reliable guidance for me.