Friday, February 10, 2023

FFB From 2013, WILD WILD WESTERNERS, Tom Weaver -review from Bill Crider


Wild Wild Westerners is subtitled A Round up of Interviews with Western Movie and TV Veterans.  It's not forgotten, since it came out in 2012, but some of you might have overlooked it.  If you're at all interested in western movies and TV, that would be a mistake.  It's a great collection and Tom Weaver has interviewed some wonderful storytellers.

It would be hard for me to pick a favorite, but if forced to do so, I might settle for Andrew Fenady's memories of creating The Rebel, writing the theme song, working with Nick Adams, and so on.  Or maybe Paul Picerni's wild tales of working on The Scalphunters.  Shelley Winters!  Wow.  But there are lot of others, all well worth your time.  June Lockhart talks about her many guest appearances on western TV shows.  Richard Kline remembers Charles Starrett.  Robert Colbert tells how he became a third Maverick brother.  And on and on.  There's a long interview with Fess Parker, and his summary of his proposed movie about Davy Crockett after he survived the battle of the Alamo is great stuff.  There's a lot more.

The interviews collected here all appeared in Boyd Magers' Western Clippings magazine.  I'm not familiar with it, but I think I should be.

 

6 comments:

Todd Mason said...

June Lockhart was apparently born to be comfortable shooting westerns...famously physically fearless, humorous, and concomitantly boisterous. Might still be (won't check at this hour). And catching a few DANIEL BOONE episodes a decade or so back, havning not seen them since they were new and maybe syndicated a couple of years later, how much that Fess Parker series was interested in encouraging ethnic/"racial" harmony and egalitarianism...I realized why the more bigoted kids in my school hated it back when.

Definitely a book I wouldn't mind being able to read, if I manage to come across a copy eventually, Glad Bill got to read it, and review it.

Jerry House said...

It's good to hear Bill's voice, and his enthusiasm, again. Thanks, Patti.

Also, what Todd said.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Boy, I miss his and his blog. Something new would pop up on it every few hours.
That is so interesting, Todd. Of course, I was too young to suss out any politics but I always loved the show and him.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I really miss Bill a lot.

Jeff Meyerson said...

We see a young June Lockhart every year when we watch MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS as Lucille Ballard, the girl who ends up with the brother. Of course, her parents were actors and Dad was in many movies himself. She is 97.

pattinase (abbott) said...

My greatest association is Lassie.