Friday, July 08, 2022

R.I.P. Rick Robinson

For anyone who has not heard this, an email from Barbara Robinson shocked and saddened.. When I began this blog I had no idea we would lose so many friends over the years. But that was partly because I never imagined my blog lasting 15 years. I think if you want to correspond with Barbara, you could leave a message on Rick's blog. So sad.

From Barbara:

As Rick said in his e-mail below that there would be updates, I am sending one on his behalf. Once I figure out how to post a brief comment on his blog, I will. He would not want to leave out any of his blog/book friends.

I am not good at sharing sad news but wanted to let you know that RicK passed away last Thursday morning in Bend, OR. He had been airlifted from the Portland hospital, as they could not locate a Neurosurgeon and ICU bed locally for him immediately. I was able to be over there with him. 
Complications from metastatic cancer was their final conclusion. We did not see this coming.
The cats and I will be fine; it is all too fresh to even process right now. I am thankful I had 16 years of life and love with that wonderful man. He’s at peace now.

8 comments:

George said...

I'm saddened by this news. I've known Rick Robinson since the DAPA-EM days. When I read his last post, I had the feeling that Something Was Very Wrong. Now, this news of Rick's death. It's a Dark Day.

TracyK said...

I have only known Rick via his blog for about five or six years, but we have had wonderful discussions of books and he gave me several books when he had finished reading them. And introduced me to new authors. He was a thoughtful and generous person. I will miss him very much.

Todd Mason said...

Terrible news...thanks for sharing it, though. I was (probably foolishly) taking his dim assessment of his life as still a matter of a temporary roadblock, one he was likely to outlast...though the recent (on blog) revelations of his late-life epilepsy causing a serious auto accident, and now that cancer probably was the source of the epilepsy...well, these explain some things.

A generous man, indeed.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I was shocked when Rick talked about his lifetime epilepsy issues, and knew he was having a tough time, but I had no idea it was that bad. He had a really tough time the last couple of years.

So sorry to hear the news. We've lost too many people the last few years.

Jerry House said...

Damn. Rick was one of the most wonderful men I have never met. When I called him my friend -- as I have done many times -- it was never with a sense of irony and always with a deep appreciation of the man and what he meant to me. Whenever I look at a beautiful garden, I will think of him (and of Phil, too); whenever I see a beautiful and complicate quilt, I will be thinking of Barbara; whenever I come across a playful cat, I'll think of Pongo; whenever I read a horror story, I'll think, "Damn, Rick would have hated this one," and then I will smile.

People come and go in your life and some, like Rick, will remain with me forever.

Todd Mason said...

Kevin Burton Smith via groups.io

2:20 AM (5 hours ago)

to Rara-Avis
Damn. I’m so sad to hear this. Rick was just a great guy. We crossed paths on this list, and back cyber-buddies, and it was him who invited me to DAPA-Em and introduced me to all that gang. When I moved to California from Montreal, he took me under his wing, and drove me around before I got a license. We attended several Lessercons together, and I stayed at his place on Orange County.

This is heartbreaking.

My heart goes out to Barbara, and all who knew Rick, and are realizing what a big emptiness just opened in their lives.

Kevin

Todd Mason said...

James Reasoner via groups.io

Sat, Jul 9, 7:13 PM (2 days ago)

to Rara-Avis@groups.io
I'm very sorry to hear this. I knew Rick only through the two of us commenting on each other's blogs, but I always enjoyed what he had to say.

James Reasoner

Todd Mason said...

Richard Moore via groups.io

Sat, Jul 9, 4:30 PM (2 days ago)

to PulpMags
So sorry to hear of Rick's death. We were both members of the crime fiction APA DAPA-EM (Elementary My Dear APA) and we met a few times at Bouchercons and other gatherings.

Nice guy.

Richard Moore