Friday, March 19, 2021

FFB-LAST BUS TO WISDOM, Ivan Doig

I have read one or two books by Ivan Doig over the years and this was his last one published in 2015. For a city or suburban woman, I like novels set in the West: Larry Watson, Wallace Stegner and others escaping me right now. Doig's books tend to be a little sentimental but just a little and Doig is capable of pulling some scary incidents out of his hat.

Donal is an eleven year old boy who lives with his grandmother in Montana. When she needs a surgery with a long recovered period she sends him to Wisconsin on the train to stay with her sister and her supposed husband, Herman, the German. The bus trip is the thing though and set in 1951 it was a time when kids were collecting autographs, which gives Doig a nice way of introducing a lot of characters. 

This book is filled with incidents on the road, coming and going. Donal is a smart boy but he is also very much an eleven-year old and should not really be on his own. Luckily Herman, the German decides to accompany him back and see the country. A bit too long but a very nice book by a very talented writer.

11 comments:

Steve A Oerkfitz said...

I read some early Doig novels but he fell off my reading radar somewhere along the way. I'm not sure why since I remember liking his work.

Jeff Meyerson said...

Yet another writer I've meant to read but never got around to.

I'm reading THE QUEEN'S GAMBIT by Walter Tevis, which so far proves that they did a very faithful job in adapting it on Netflix. If you've seen the series, the book will be familiar, but that is not to say that you shouldn't bother reading it. You should.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I just read his Wikipedia entry. What struck me was, he died eight days before what would have been his 50th Anniversary.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I read the Tevis book some years ago and loved it.
I think I read Doig's book about a Rascal Fair and one or two others.
50th anniversary of his wedding? his writing? I'll check.

Margot Kinberg said...

This is one I'm not familiar with, Patti. But there is something about a good book set in the West...

Jeff Meyerson said...

Doig got married Aoril 17, 1965, died April 9, 2015.

Todd Mason said...

Doig isn't as good a Tevis, but I enjoyed reading the one book of his of several I've picked up at library sales and the like. It doesn't feel too much like a YA book, after all?

George said...

I have a couple Doig books on my shelves but haven't read them yet. Your review motivates me to start one soon!

pattinase (abbott) said...

No, it doesn't although I think there were too many incidents and characters when it came down to it. I wonder if knowing it would be his last book led him to overwrite it. Still, everyone in my book group liked or loved it. Not usually the case.

TracyK said...

I like the sound of this book, although the length does bother me for that kind of book. I am not really familiar with this author, maybe because I concentrated on mystery fiction for much of my reading? But I should try one or two of his books.

Mathew Paust said...

I like the title. Hadn't known of Doig, but as I'm from Wisconsin it might be a fun read. I was same age as Donal in '51.