Tuesday, September 26, 2017

COLUMBUS






I doubt that I will see a better movie than COLUMBUS this year. If you favor a lot of action, a big cast, noise, this probably isn't for you. But if you like quiet movies about the small moments in lives, you may like it too.
COLUMBUS takes place in Columbus, IN, rated the sixth best architectural place to visit in the U.S. and it is only a town of 40,000. All of the best modernist architects have buildings here and the movie makes good use of them. The two main characters, a girl of 20 (Haley Lu Richardson) and an older Korean-American (John Cho) are dealing with parent issues. But what makes the movie work so well is how their stories make use of the elements of architecture. Scenes are shot through windows, mirrors, doors, and only occasionally does it call direct attention to that. Hallways become an interesting way of showing distance. Their shared passion for architecture can only take them so far though. Such a beautiful movie. Directed by Kogonada, I think his name will become more familiar.

6 comments:

Steve Oerkfitz said...

Where did you see this at?

pattinase (abbott) said...

Washington DC.

George said...

You liked COLUMBUS more than I did. I loved the architecture, but I found the plots ho-hum.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Just read your review. I can see your problem with it. And I felt that way for the first 30 minutes. But gradually I began to see patterns that reflected the modernism of the architecture. For instance, SPOILER ALERT, she plans to stay and he talks her into leaving. He plans to leave but her influence on him allows him to stay. The more I thought about it, the better it got. And she is one great actress. And a first movie so profound.

George said...

Patti, I liked the cast a lot. I wish Parker Posey was given more to do.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Parker Posey is never given much to do. I wonder why. She is always an asset.