Friday, October 12, 2007

Say Something Nice About Detroit Day

We're in Canada (more about that later) and we did what we always do at conferences, looked for a movie theater to escape that awkward opening night cocktail party. We found one nearby and saw Across the Universe, which we loved. I don't understand why the reviews have been so harsh. It was much like Hair but with better music.
Our one bad moment was when the 1967 riots were depicted and although there were riots everything in 1967, they flash to Detroit for a few seconds and the hoots came. Poor Detroit is where a movie always goes to show decay, crime and trouble.
So say something nice about Detroit today. I'll start.
Detroit has two of the most progressive senators: Debbie Stabenow and Carl Levin

9 comments:

Sandra Ruttan said...

You're from Detroit.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Oh, yes. Right now I'm in Canada though. I can feel your presence.

Anonymous said...

Four Things:

Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels

Motown

Iggy and the Sootges

The MC5

Anonymous said...

Hey, the Miracles particularly among the Motown acts are not to be sneezed at, either. And then I'm reminded of FBI agents dispatched to interview Martha Reeves about Hidden Messages in "Dancing in the Streets"...and Joyce Carol Oates's THEM...and that ONTARIO REVIEW, the excellent little that Oates helps her husband put out, is one of my favorites and takes its title from the fact that it was founded when they were teaching/working in Windsor, the twin city. Also you get a good sampling of Canadian media there, giving you a somewhat more cosmopolitan perspective than most industrial (or other) cities get.

Anonymous said...

I want to add to my list of Four Things that are great about Detroit:

Loren D. Estlemen/Amos Walker

The White Stripes

Aretha Franklin

r2

pattinase (abbott) said...

You've gotta see the new book called Amos' Walker's Detroit then, with lots of pictures of places he mentions in his novels.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I'll look it up.

r2

John McFetridge said...

I'm coming to this a little late, but I gotta say... Elmore Leonard.

pattinase (abbott) said...

You know John I had a long list on here but it disappeared so I'll have to reconstitute it for posterity. Have you seen Amos Walker's Detroit? Some great pics in there.