Saturday, April 14, 2007

Going Against Some Sound Advice and

my own instints I gave the first two chapter of the novel to Writing Group 2. They are accustomed to getting fairly polished if not finished stories from me. Stories where most of their questions get answered. Now there's a lot up in the air since there are another 200 pages coming, and none of us are used to this. None of us know when or if questions will be answered. Including me. They are not all readers of crime fiction either so there is that to consider.
I think I learned some valuable things today though and am on the whole okay if not happy with the outcome.
I do hope to wipe the term "degrading dialogue" from my head some day. This term was used by the playwright, the person who best understands good dialogue. By this he meant, the dialogue was less convincing in the second chapter than the first. I am using dialogue to get across information and it makes it sound wrong. He is the most brutal of us, yet he's fair and some of his criticisms in the past have produced better stories.
Probably I would be better off not sharing this manuscript at this point but I don't know how to write without a group to critique me, so I am forced to continue with this.
Like it or not. Not.

1 comment:

Stephen Blackmoore said...

I've noticed that when I'm in that sort of situation it helps if I clarify what sort of feedback I'm looking for from the group.

If they understand that it's rough and that I'm looking for, say just a feel for the piece, rather than a pick apart critique, things go much more smoothly.

And if they do give me more than what I'm looking for, or something completely off the track, I can file those comments for later and not have to worry about them now.