Wednesday, May 01, 2024

Short Story Wednesday: FINISTERE, Kevin Barry, from THE NEW YORKER

 

My Dad around age 12.
 

https://www.newyorker.com/books/this-week-in-fiction/kevin-barry-04-15-24

 

The protagonist has just ended a summer romance as he takes a ferry to France. The romance ended with cop cars so his escape is a quick one. On the ferry, he meets a teenage girl, wise beyond her years and possibility beyond believability, he alternately is childish for a man of 55. The two bond over a TV show WORLD'S TOUGHEST PRISONS. At the end of the trip they are both uplifted in some -hard to describe- way.

This was another beautifully written story and hearing Barry read it on THE NEW YORKER site is pure joy. Barry has a new novel coming out in July and is the author of THE NIGHT BOAT TO TANGIER. In the link above, he discusses the story. 

George Kelley

Kevin Tipple 

Jerry House 

TracyK 

Casual Debris

 

Here is the storyhttps://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2024/04/15/finistere-fiction-kevin-barry

6 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

This sounds like a great story, Patii, with a lot of suspense in it.

pattinase (abbott) said...

And also a lot of humor. I should have mentioned that.

Casual Debris said...

Not familiar with the author but I will certainly check this one out.

I have one this week: https://casualdebris.blogspot.com/2024/04/casual-shorts-isfdb-top-short-fiction_30.html

Thanks

Jeff Meyerson said...

I'm reading three collections still:

RAYMOND CHANDLER'S PHILIP MARLOWE (1988) - anthology of new stories
William Maxwell, ALL THE DAYS AND NIGHTS: THE COLLECTED STORIES
Charles Ardai, DEATH COMES TOO LATE

And I have two more in the wings, a collection of Philip K. Dick's stories and the new Crippen & Landru collection of stories by Frances & Richard Lockridge, FLAIR FOR MURDER.

George said...

I'll hunt down a copy of "Finistrere."

TracyK said...

I will read this story to see if I want to follow up and look for one of his short story collections. We have THE NIGHT BOAT TO TANGIER on our wish list but I could swear that Glen put in on there and he has no memory of it. I looked the book up and I read good things about it, so I will get a copy sometime (book sale or just order it).