Friday, May 03, 2024

FFB: Fred Zackel


 Cocaine And Blue Eyes 

Every once in a while, I got an email from Fred Zackel. I think I met him once at Bouchercon. I bet some of you remember him. 

Today, looking for something else, I ran across his obit from December. https://obits.cleveland.com/us/obituaries/cleveland/name/frederick-zackel-obituary?id=54090148


FREDERICK ZACKEL is the author of Cocaine and Blue Eyes (1978) and Cinderella After Midnight (1980) among other novels. He teaches at Bowling Green State University in Ohio. Trivia buffs should note that the 1983 TV adaptation of Cocaine and Blue Eyes was co-produced by O.J. Simpson, who also starred as Zackel's detective, Michael Brennen. "Look at it this way," Zackel says: "I was discovered by Ross Macdonald and O.J. Simpson. That can haunt you in the wee hours of the night."

 

6 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

I haven't read this one, but I'm sorry to hear of his loss.

Jeff Meyerson said...

Sad. Yes, we met him at a couple of Bouchercons. St. Louis, maybe? Or was it later? Raleigh? I think we had dinner with him once in a group. Glad I got to tell him that I liked COCAINE AND BLUE EYES.

Diane Kelley said...

I liked COCAINE AND BLUE EYES. A bunch of writers have died this week.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Are we getting to the age where we notice it more?

Todd Mason said...

I've been noting this with sorrow for decades...but, well, depression will out.

Todd Mason said...

...the Necrology in BEST NEw HORROR every year, for example...Real Life Horror at its sharpest...