Friday, May 29, 2020

FFB LET HIM GO

(from the archives)

 I saw that the movie version of this with Kevin Costner and Diane Lane is due to be released so I thought I would post this again.

I am a big Larry Watson fan and LET HIM GO did not disappoint. It is a great followup to books like WHITE CROSSES and MONTANA: 1948.

After their adult son is killed in an accident, his widowed wife marries again and leaves the Blackledge's home to go with her new husband to Montana. She takes their grandson with her, of course, and therein lies the problem.

"With you or without you," Margaret Blackledge insists, and at these words George knows his only choice is to follow her.
 

George takes to the road with Margaret by his side, tracking down the Weboy clan quickly. When Margaret tries to convince Lorna to return home to North Dakota, bringing little Jimmy with her, the Blackledges find themselves mixed up with the entire Weboy clan, a horrific family determined not to give the boy up without a fight. It's more about possession than love with a family like this. 

This slim volume contains a heart-pounding story, unforgettable characters, terrific atmosphere

8 comments:

Jeff Meyerson said...

Stories like this rarely end well, certainly not in fiction.

I like Watson's writing too.

Margot Kinberg said...

I really like Watson's work, Patti, and it's been too long since I read it. Time to rectify that.

George said...

I wonder if movie theaters will open this Summer. Even with proposed social distancing (25% capacity is being talked about), I wonder if these brick-and-mortar businesses can make a go of it. I suspect a lot of movies may just go direct to ON DEMAND or a streaming service like Netflix or HULU.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Well, drive ins are opening here with lots of changes. Fewer cars, no speakers-you broadcast it through your radio-- no playgrounds for kids, no milling around.
I like him too. Especially Montana 1948,

George said...

Several movie theaters have have announced they will not reopen. Our one drive-in theater has been hosting. High School graduations.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I think a trend that began a long time ago is picking up: watching movies at home. I love going to a movie theater. A movie on my tv is never as good.

George said...

I agree with you on the theater movie experience being better than the home TV experience. But, I'm afraid that any activity that involves large groups of people will find resistance until a coronavirus vaccine is available.

Rick Robinson said...

I don't go to the movies any more, just not comfortable there over the last few years. By the way, Todd seems to have stopped FFB, are you or someone else picking it up?