Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Forgotten Movies: DAVID PATRICK KELLY




I was going to review THE WARRIORS today, but I fell asleep watching it so instead I will talk about one of its stars in his first movie then, David Patrick Kelly. Kelly grew up a suburb away from us in Michigan and was born in 1951. He has gotten steady work ever since THE WARRIORS, a lot of it on TV and in plays. He generally plays a very angry, threatening guy. He was great in TWIN PEAKS. He was awarded an Obie for his sustained work on the Broadway stage but he often pops up on TV as well. He is also a musician. He is the kind of guy who scares you pretty good.

5 comments:

J F Norris said...

How odd! Last Friday night we just watched DREAMSCAPE with Kelly as a very creepy psychic killer who can enter people's dreams. The movie came out the same year as NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET and had a lot of similar plot elements. He had a very strange appearence as a young man. Can't imagine him playing anything other than creeps and psychos.

Chad Eagleton said...

FYI: Before the project went to Walter Hill, my literary obsession Shane Stevens made a pass on the screenplay. I haven't been able to find Stevens' draft, but I suspect it would have been a bit more like Sol Yurick's novel.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Megan worked for his brother who was a state senator. They look a lot alike, which always made me slightly distrustful but he was a good guy.

Yvette said...

Since I'm the biggest chicken on earth, I probably will not see this guy in any movie. I'm a gutless wonder. :)

Anonymous said...

John, DREAMSCAPE is exactly the movie that came to my mnd too when thinking of Kelly. Nasty piece of work, wasn't he?

Jeff M.