Saturday, February 15, 2014

CHRONICLES OF CRIME

Every once in a while, I learn of a new cool place to look for forgotten books. And here is a great one. Go browse their inventory. Wish I lived closer to the store. They are located, brick and mortar-wise at 1048 Fort St. in Victoria, BC, CA. But they are available online from anywhere.


Stores like this need our support. I found several great ones in SOCAL recently. You might save a buck or two on amazon but you are contributing to the demise of stores like this one. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny, but I weas just emailing a friend this morning about several stores that remind me of that one that we used to visit regulasrly in England. I don't miss the hassle of getting there and having to pack up all the books to ship them home, but I sure miss the stores themselves.

One alone was a three story building crammed to the ceiling in every room with books, including thousands (literally) of old green Penguins. I never failed to take 100 or more books out of there. And they were cheap and the guy would always give you a further discount!


Jeff M.

George said...

We're down to just a handful of used bookstores within driving distance. I try to visit them regularly and SPEND MONEY! You're right: if we don't support them, they'll fade away.

Brian Busby said...

Hear, hear!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more about stores like this. Thanks for sharing about this particular shop.

J F Norris said...

Chicago still has quite a few used bookstores. Thank God! Two of them have been in business for over 40 years now. I'm always excited to find used bookstores still hanging in there throughout the US.

I was in Vancouver a while ago but we never took the ferry to get to Victoria. I regret that now. Not sure if I'll ever back to B.C. I hear there are even more antiquarian bookstores of the type I like in both Victoria and Nanaimo.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Yes, I hear great things about Victoria. Maybe some day we will get back that way.