Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Happy Birthday, Dad (Ralph Edward Nase)

My Dad would have been 99 today, but he died three years ago today on his birthday, after a bad fall.


Happy Birthday to the 16th of the 19 children born to the Nase family in Sellersville, PA. His father worked in a cigar factory. His oldest brother, Vincent, died in WW 1 and my Dad served in WW 2, that's how spread out there were. He never knew that brother, being only three when Vincent went overseas.

After much investigation, my brother tracked the family back to Alsace Lorraine and the name was spelled at least 6 different ways over the years. The earliest spelling is Nehs (I think). But they came to the US very early indeed.

Happy Birthday to the first man I loved. (His favorite song)





9 comments:

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

A lovely tribute, Patti! I'd like to think of dads as security blankets, mine was. Nothing could go wrong when he was around. I remember his favourite song, "Dreamboat," not the one sung by Alma Cogan. This one was sung by someone else.

David Cranmer said...

I'm with Prashant, Patti. A lovely tribute with some great old black and white photos.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this with us, Patti. Life often moves at a pace that seems unreasonably fast, taking us where we inevitably have to go before we feel prepared to go there. But it's good to look back and fondly remember those people who are special to us. A fine tribute indeed.

neer said...

Hi Patti

I too am with all of the above. This is a lovely tribute.

Erik Donald France said...

Beautiful. Happy Birthday to your Dad and Happy Thanksgiving~!

It seems that my Dad's paternal name (France) originates in Alsace-Lorraine, also -- with a myriad of spellings. A salute to that much contested region, too.

Anonymous said...

Lovely post, Patti I love the 'photos and I'm sure your father was very proud of the person you've become.

Charles Gramlich said...

Sounds like a wonderful man. Strangely enough, the last three letters of my captcha phrase are DAD

Cap'n Bob said...

I love these family histories and tributes. Your poor grandmother. I can't imagine anyone having all those kids.

pattinase (abbott) said...

She died before I was born, when my Dad was 12.
My other grandmother had one child.