Thursday, April 12, 2012

My Life at the Theater: Lips Together, Teeth Apart


Lips Together, Teeth Apart is a play by Terrence McNally that we saw at the Halstead Theater in Chicago in April 1993. I am sure we were in Chicago attending the Midwest Political Science Conference.

It is the story of two couples, sharing a house on Fire Island, over a holiday weekend. The house has been left to one of the women by her brother who has recently died of AIDS. The set was the best thing about the play. It was rather a nasty meditation of homophobia and AIDS and filled with vitriol and sentiments we had heard too much by 1993.

I loved McNally's Frankie and Johnny in the Clair De Lune but this one (Like Master Class) left me cold. Especially the couples' unwillingness to use the swimming pool in case its infected.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

From your review I am glad we missed this one. We did see Frankie & Johnny, which I liked, though I am not a fan of Carol Kane, who starred in the version we saw with Bruce Weitz (Bekler in HILL STREET BLUES).

Actually, I preferred his LOVE! VALOUR! COMPASSION!

Jeff M.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I am not sure if we saw that one or not. No playbill for it.

Anonymous said...

Plenty of male nudity in that one so you'd probably remember if you saw it.

;)

Jeff M.

Unknown said...

Teeth Are the most important part of our human body and they have a full impact on human haealth and personality. I am glad that i have found your blog as it has provided main great knowledge about implantate Berlin. I have bookmarked your page for further updates. Thumbs up for the good posts.