Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Song Is You

The Song is You is out in paperback this week with a nice front cover blurb by James Ellroy.
This is my favorite book of Megan's three novels because it is set in fifties Hollywood, about the movie business, and is both tragic and romantic. Plus I like the protagonist, Gil Hopkins, a flawed character who can only do good for so long. I also enjoy the portraits of real Hollywood actors in it--like Barbara Payton. Watching Megan write and illustrate her stories as a child, watching her watch movies as much as we'd allow, this was the book I'd have expected her to write. So if you put off buying it because of its hardback price, here's your chance now.
Sorry for the blatant daughter promotion, but it seeps out of me every now and then.

9 comments:

Mystery Dawg said...

It is a great book and deserves a wider audience. BTW, that is what moms are supposed to do...be proud of their children.

Anonymous said...

Patti
and guess where she got that talent?
Now if we can follow on the E in Elroy with the E in Edgar
Hell of a book
best
Ken

pattinase (abbott) said...

Hey, you two. Thanks for the kind words. Having a blurb on it from the fantasic KB doesn't hurt either. And Edgars all around this year, I hope!

Sophie Littlefield said...

I'll be pulling for her! She's one of my all-time faves :)

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks, Sophie.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks, Sophie.

Terrie Farley Moran said...

Hi Patti,

Nothing wrong with a little daugher promotion. Megan certainly deserves accolades, and, hey, you ain't so bad yourself.

Terrie

pattinase (abbott) said...

Hey, Terrie. Still can't get over your knowledge of barroom protocol. I printed it off and am carrying it in my wallet so I don't screw it up either in person or in print.

Terrie Farley Moran said...

Thanks Patti.

I always hung out with pros. Who knew the knowledge would come in handy?

I hope it gives Stephen a good jumping off point for that part of his story.

Clare is even more of an expert, having worked behind the stick.

Terrie