Friday, November 10, 2006

Reviews and not much else

We saw The Queen yesterday and I have to say that Helen Mirren is the best actress working today. Michael Sheen was brilliant as Tony Blair as well. The movie itself was interesting, more like a documentary than a real movie though. It shook off some of the Masterpiece Theater dust, but not all of it. So far only Kate Winslett in Little Children gave nearly as good of a performance.
Finished Sharp Objects and I have to say I would have pitched it save for my need to see the whole thing play out. It had to have been the most unpleasant book I've ever read written by a woman and fictional. Usually the protagonist's normalcy rescues the reader, but not here.
Does unrelenting horror make a good book? In this case, a bit of a rest now and then would have helped.

No comments: