Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Forgotten TV: WALKING DISTANCE, THE TWILIGHT ZONE

Gig Young plays an ad executive who takes a Sunday drive, has some car trouble, and finds himself within walking distance of his hometown, called Homewood. He walks into town and back into his past, reliving a painful incident but remembering the good things too. A merry-go-round plays an important part in this drama. It's typical Serling, didactic yet compelling.

Carousels or merry-go-round feature in so many stories. I find them haunting because the horses faces always seem tortured to me. And the music always feels like its trying too hard to be jolly.

I think of this episode as a very typical one. Well done and reflecting Serling's obsession with whether the past can be rewritten or not.  You can see it in any number of places. Gig Young is terrific in the part.

7 comments:

George said...

This was a great TWILIGHT ZONE episode! My students tell me I should be watching BLACK MIRROR, a British version of TWILIGHT ZONE now on NetFlix.

pattinase (abbott) said...

It is very good, George, although darker.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes, I remember this one!!! It was a great episode, as so many in that series were.

Charles Gramlich said...

Almost any time Twilight Zone is on, Lana and I are catching it.

Jeff Meyerson said...

We just heard about Black Mirror too.

Jeff M.

Jeff Meyerson said...

We just heard about Black Mirror too.

Jeff M.

Sergio (Tipping My Fedora) said...

To me this was the show at its best (it was the first actual series episode to be shot after the pilot) and in fact makes me cry every time (especially the scenes when he loosk at his parenst through the screen) - Bernard Herrmann's score is very beautiful too and Gig Young is superb