Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Forgotten Movies: BROTHER FROM ANOTHER PLANET



Continuing yesterday's theme as the"outsider," thirty years ago, Joe Morton starred in John Sayles' BROTHER FROM ANOTHER PLANET. This was a clever movie that managed to be humorous, lovable, and still make a statement, as Sayles is wont to do.  Even a black man in Harlem can be an outsider. The plot is pretty self-explanatory. He arrives on earth with two white guys from his home planet immediately sent to bring him home.

I haven't seen this movie since 1984 and the trailer here looks even more light-hearted than I remember it. Joe Morton plays a character on SCANDAL nowadays and most of the other actors seem to have disappeared. I remember it as a series of vignettes, which may be suited to this subject.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I haven't seen this one in many years, but I remember liking it quite a bit.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I remember that film! I remember thinking it was a solid view, too.

George said...

I wish John Sayles made more movies.

Thomas Pluck said...

I liked this one quite a bit. Sayles really knows character.

Ron Scheer said...

My favorite Sayles movie, as you might guess, is LONE STAR.

Anonymous said...

What Bill said.

Joe Morton has a done a lot of roles since, including a much more benign one (than SCANDAL) on EUREKA.

I find Sayles hit and miss but I liked this one.

Jeff M.

Charles Gramlich said...

Don't remember if I ever saw this. Sounds vaguely familiar.

Sergio (Tipping My Fedora) said...

I love John Sayles - his films as a writer-director have never disappointed me.