Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Forgotten Movies: Pelle, the Conqueror



I have been rating movies for about twenty years. I see about 75 movies a year (at least) and in that entire time, I have only rated one as a 10. And this was the one.

Max Von Sydow plays Pelle, who with his son is forced to emigrate to Denmark after Sweden cannot sustain them. Their life is hard in Denmark. Not speaking the language is a severe deficit. As they come to speak the language, things improve for both of them.

This is certainly a movie full of heart. Directed by Billie August in 1988.

7 comments:

George said...

I've never seen PELLE, THE CONQUERER. But you think it's a "10" I'll track down a copy.

Anonymous said...

Patti - I've heard of this one but not (yet) seen it. Time I did, I see.

Charles Gramlich said...

I will have to give it a try. I've never heard of it that I can recall.

Sergio (Tipping My Fedora) said...

I must see this one again - thanks Patti - I think I only have it on VHS!

J F Norris said...

I remember enjoying this. Saw it in the theater when it first came out.

David Cranmer said...

Remember it well. A fine, fine film.

Todd Mason said...

Another film I've landed on halfway through, and have been meaning to see in its entirety.