Wednesday, April 02, 2014

First Wednesday Book Review Club: THE HUSBAND'S SECRET, Liane Moriarity




At heart this is a domestic novel set in Australia. But Liane Moriarty was clever enough to put enough twists and turns to keep a reader who likes suspense engaged. It entwines several women and their respective families, all connected to the same school, and gives them stories rich and complex enough to allow them interact on several levels.

Of course, the very title seduces you.

One character, mother of three girls, and a woman who prides herself on being on top of things, finds a letter addressed to her from her husband with the warning it is not to be read until after his death. What she does with this letter forms the first part of the novel. But we also having a grieving mother about to lose her beloved grandchild in a move to the US,, and a marriage threatened from an odd angle.

The stories are all interesting enough to keep you turning pages in the second half of the book. And the first surprise is not the only one.

The strength of the book lay in its "what-ifs." The repercussions of human behavior, often the actions that occur without thought or notice,  is at its heart.

For more book reviews, visit Barrie Summy. 

12 comments:

Deb said...

I loved this book--one of my favorites from last year--I just wish it hadn't been marketed as "chick lit" which I think would dissuade many people from giving it a try. A wonderful book about secrets and the cost of keeping, or revealing, them.

pattinase (abbott) said...

A man recommended it to my husband, he read it and recommended it to me. Def. not chick lit.

Anonymous said...

Patti - It does sound like a suspenseful read with a solid layer of psychological tension. Sounds good.

Sarah Laurence said...

Sounds interesting. Thanks for the intro to an author new to me.

Anonymous said...

The cover certainly has a "chick lit" look to it. It sounds a little like A LETTER TO THREE WIVES.

Jeff M.

Barrie said...

Have you read What Alice Forgot? Also by Liane Moriarty. It's in my TBR pile. Maybe I should read this book of hers first? They both look really good. Thanks for reviewing. BTW, I've actually been to Sammy's since meeting you there, but didn't get the beet salad. :)

Ellen Booraem said...

Don't get me started about "chick lit" covers! This sounds like an interesting book for both sexes. Thanks for the review!

Linda McLaughlin said...

Sounds more like women's fiction than chick lit, and the cover doesn't seem like chick lit either. I think it's a beautiful cover. Glad you enjoyed it.

Jenn Jilks said...

Nicely done. This one looks intriguing.

Barrie said...

I'm in the middle of listening to this book on CD. All thanks to your review! Thanks, again, Patti!

pattinase (abbott) said...

And it gets stronger and stronger.

Lucy said...

I just finished reading this book. I agree, it did get stronger as it went. I enjoyed it.