Monday, March 11, 2013

THE SECOND READING

of a book usually comes years after the first one. But I am rereading a book I just finished. The reason for it was that it was a complicated narrative and I think I missed things in struggling to make sense of the structure. I think I missed important things-- the best things even. 2) if I am going to discuss it with my book group, I want to have a theory in place for it.

Few books require this sort of immediate rereading.And on the second reading of this one, I am struck with exactly how much I did miss. Wonderful book which I will talk about after my book group reads it.

The last book I remember rereading immediately was Julian Barnes A SENSE OF PLACE for much the same sort of reason. For pleasure I remember rereading immediately GONE WITH THE WIND when I was a teenager. And as a kid, I did it all the time, of course.

Have you ever reread a book right away? And if so, why?
**************************************************************************


RE: FLASH FICTION CHALLENGE. Please confirm that a story will be on your blog or send it to me. Not sure of where some of these stories will be.

Sorry-I have not been clear. I will post the links all on Wednesday. Today was the day for people who wanted me to post the story to have it to me. Sorry for confusion.

13 comments:

Rick Robinson said...

I don't recall ever having re-read a book directly after, or even soon after, I finished it. I have re-read books years later and realized I missed - of didn't understand - a lot, but that's not what you mean here.

John Weagly said...

Hi Patti,

My white van story will be at my blog, "Captain Spaulding on Skull Island."

http://www.johnweagly.com/blog/

John

J F Norris said...

Don't think I've ever done this. I re-read passages while I'm reading the book to help clarify the story since I know I tend to be a skimmer sometimes.

I do however rewatch movies immediately after watching the first time. I recall watching Almodovar's Bad Education three times in succession and each time I noticed something new. Rarely does this happen with re-reading for me. If anything re-reading a book or story reveals faults I might have overlooked the first time.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I would like to rewatch HOLY MOTORS right now.
I usually only do it when I think I missed something. Or if it was so good, I had to see how it was achieved. I was tempted to reread THE LITTLE STRANGER immediately but it is long. An unreliable narrator, where I have missed the clues, leads me to do it. Like in THE LIFEBOAT.

Jerry House said...

My story is up.

Kieran Shea said...

I think I re-read King's first short story collection NIGHT SHIFT immediately because I was sick in bed and couldn't go to the bookstore.

Anonymous said...

Short answer: no. I cannot ever remember rereading a book as soon as I finished it.

I have sat through a movie twice...

Jeff M.

pattinase (abbott) said...

When the movies used to go round and round. Yes, I often sat through two or 1 1/2.
Short stories would work well for a second read.

David Cranmer said...

I very rarely ever do, Patti. But recently I reread The Captain Is Out to Lunch and the Sailors Have Taken Over the Ship by Charles Bukowski. Not sure why. But Buk has that influence over me.

Charles Gramlich said...

I almost never reread books, although I have begun to do so slightly more often these days than I once did.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I only reread if I think I missed something and the book was good enough for me not to want to. I would never reread a light book for instance. One that didn't make demands on my brain.

Anonymous said...

Interesting question as always, Patti. I don't generally re-read right away. I'm one of those people who really like to digest a book before deciding what I think of it. I process for a while before I re-read.

Sophie Grace said...

Thanks to sharing such thoughtful knowledge I like your work, keep it up. This is wonderful site 192.168.l.254 about 192.168.1.1