Saturday, July 17, 2010

INCEPTION


I'm not going to attempt to post a coherent review of INCEPTION because I don't have one. I loved the movie, but I can't explain it, can't even say why I enjoyed it in any coherent way. How could I like something I only sketchily understood? In order to write a review, I'd have to rely on someone else's explanation--which I can't do.

Phil came away from it with a completely different explanation of the events than I had. His synopsis was more orderly and well thought out than mine, yet I am not sure it's correct either. I am hoping to hear from some of you about what you thought took place. Let me know.

I also want to remind animal and photography lovers out there of my friend Olivia's blog, capturing life at the zoo in D.C. She is a marine biologist, a great writer and an excellent photographer. Those three elements make her blog a treat to visit every day. If you know others who might appreciate her diary of life at the zoo, please pass her URL on.

10 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I haven't seen it yet but it definitely looks intersting.

Jose Ignacio Escribano said...

INCEPTION will be released next week in spain if my info is correct.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Boy, I hope you have good subtitlers there. You can probably follow it in VO though. Maybe it would have made more sense without any words at all--just follow the images. Still, I liked it.

David Cranmer said...

A movie that hard to explain is one I want to see. I'm desperate for a good current film or TV show. Everything is junk I've tried in the last few weeks.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Not junk would include this WINTER'S BONE, PLEASE GIVE, A SOLITARY MAN, THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT.

MAD MEN starts next week on TV. I've given up all almost everything else this summer.

P.M. said...

Going to Inception tonight, can't wait. As for tv, have you guys tried Sons of Anarchy? Pretty good, as is Mad Men.

George said...

I plan to see INCEPTION in a few days, but the reviews have been mixed. It seems like you either love it or hate it. David Edelstein's review seems to be a minority opinion, but it makes some interesting points: http://nymag.com/movies/reviews/67155/

Naomi Johnson said...

Our local newspaper had a glowing review. If I make it to the movies in the next week though, Winter's Bone is getting my money.

Chris said...

Julia and I liked INCEPTION, but I have to say after so many people raving about it I was left a little disappointed, because it wasn't that great, IMO. Nolan is a good filmmaker, but like in THE DARK NIGHT, the last act could probably have been improved with about 10 or 15 more minutes on the cutting room floor.

Does the name "Cobb" have any kind of metaphorical significance? "Ariadne," which is what's-her-name's character, is of course the name of the girl who helped Theseus escape the labyrinth, so her name was apt for the movie. I can't think of any such connections for Leo's character, though.

All in all, I don't regret the time I spent watching it, but I won't be in any big hurry to see it again.

The preview to PIRANHA 3D was awesome, though!

Anonymous said...

I'm much more interested in PIRANHA 3D than in INCEPTION, for what it's worth. So now you know my taste (or lack of same).

I loved MEMENTO but thought DARK KNIGHT was way too dark and terribly overrated. If it wasn't for Heath Ledger... .

Jeff M.