Saturday, August 02, 2008

Reading Forgotten Books: Dust Devils by James Reasoner

There is much to be learned by someone trying to write a novel in James Reasoner's Dust Devils. There is also much to be enjoyed for someone looking for a good story. Sandra Ruttan pointed out its assets for a reader many weeks ago, so let me point out what it's taught me as would-be novelist.

1. Reasoner tells his tale with almost no back story. By the end of the book, you know everything you need to know about the protagonist without dragging the story back to the past.

2. The book sweeps along at a good clip, but unlike a lot of books I pick up, it doesn't feel like breakneck pacing was the primary concern. There's time for reflection, time to look around at the Texas scenery and ambiance. I know people love to claim, they couldn't put the book down, but to me, that's not always a good attribute. Reasoner gets it exactly right in Dust Devils. There were no wasted scenes. No dead ends.

3. This is a quiet story despite the action. The pacing and mood suit its setting; only the occasional action scene breaks the moodiness. And when it does, it feels organic, inevitable.


4. The dialog feels effortless; the characters act accordingly; there were the right number of characters for a shortish book. These are all issues to struggle with. And here you can see how well it works when it's done masterfully.


5. Here's how to create a femme fatale that's believable. She is credible, scary, sexy.
I would have admired this book under any circumstances, but at this point in time, it really was the perfect lesson on how to write a noirish crime story well.

Read it even if you don't need any lessons.

8 comments:

Randy Johnson said...

Great book. Now you need to read Texas Wind. That is if you haven't already had the pleasure.

Unknown said...

I agree, Patti. A wonderful book and why some big-time publisher didn't pick this one up is a mystery to me.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I firmly intend to read Texas Wind.
The publishing world is one big mystery to me.

pattinase (abbott) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pattinase (abbott) said...

I firmly intend to read Texas Wind.
The publishing world is one big mystery to me.

August West said...

"Dust Devils" was one of the best books I read in 2007. I would love to see it adapted as a movie, but Hollywood would probably screw it up. I hope James Reasoner beings back the Dana character in another book.

http://vinpulp.blogspot.com/2007/12/dust-devils-by-james-reasoner.html

pattinase (abbott) said...

IT would be a terrific movie. I thought of that after I wrote the post. Just the right amount of action and atmosphere and characters.

Anonymous said...

I doubt the incest angle would survive in a screenplay but there would be time and room for everything else. A film version could have all sorts of fantastic scenery.