Monday, September 28, 2026

Monday, Monday


 

I saw the French movie, the Marching Band, which was terrific if it comes your way.  We are lucky to have the Detroit Institute of Arts showing foreign movies most weekends because we have no art houses anymore. 

Reading KIN and enjoying it. Today I am going to a play at Theater Nova, called Maestro. They always show new or unknown plays, which sometimes works out and sometimes doesn't. 

TV-I am trying to understand DARK MATTER. Also started PROFESSOR T on PBS, YOUTH on HBO and LANTERNS.

Lovely weather. How about your life?  

4 comments:

Todd Mason said...

Still healing. Becoming aware that a necrotic gall bladder causes symptoms that resemble senility, as long as the diseased/dead organ is still present (now removed). Life sure can be a big old ball of fun. (Up at this hour since I fell asleep around 7pm, I gather...)

Todd Mason said...

PROF. T at times can be damned near the saddest crime drama I watch, given how much horrible back-story is involved for about half the characters, very much including Jasper Tempest himself.

Jerry House said...

Had cataract surgery done on the second eye this week. I'm phobic about my eyes and was very anxious leading up to the surgery even though it is a simple and common procedure. All went well, I'm told, and -- because it was my bad eye (my very bad eye, the doctor said) -- it will take about a week or two before I'm able to see well. I had an option to get a super-nifty lens that would solve all my problems (and perhaps give me X-ray vision or allow me to shoot lasers out of my eye), but that would have cost another three K out of pocket so I went the cheap route. My eye is currently itching and watering and I am not allowed to rub it, so I'm not exactly happy, but people have been telling me that I am a brave little soldier and patting me on the shoulder. I've been sleeping a lot since the operation. I'll be able to drive again in a few days.
The big news this week is that Walt got a new job. His current contract expires at the end of the month and was not renewed. He had an option to work again at the TSA but refused it because he had hoped that something better would come along among the flour or five feelers he had put out. the new job requires that he be on-site at least 95% of the time, while his current position had him working from home virtually full-time -- something that had been very convenient since his parents moved in with us and since Christina got her new job with crazy work hours. On the negative side, the new job pays less; on the positive side, he keeps his family insurance (a major consideration). The new job also requires him to make frequent trips to Alaska, a place he enjoys; Christina hopes to accompany him on some of the trips.

Also with a new job is Amy, who is starting with a different department for the County. She was one of about fifty mostly experienced applicants. She's excited because this job allows her to use her CAD/CAM experience. Also starting a new job is Gavyn.

Mark is spending a week's vacation in Albuquerque, where he plans to visit three national parks. Things got off to a great start when he landed at the airport and they had lost his reservation and there were no car rentals available at all. He solved that the next day and is having a jolly time communing with nature. He visited some friends at the zoo and fed the penguins, some of whom has missed him. Jessie flew to Raleigh to meet up with her best friend from high school and to meet her new husband and (hopefully) give her stamp of approval; Amy and Gavyn flew up a day later to meet her.

Erin's wedding dress came in and Christina went over to help her try it on. We mortal people won't be able to see it until April 3rd, but Christina said that Erin looked even more beautiful than ever -- if that were actually possible. Erin is very happy.

More to come.

Jerry House said...

Back again.

The sexual predator who had targeted Jack four years ago was finally convicted after spending all that time in jail for that and other offenses -- his lawyers had kept delaying things for all that period -- strange, because he was often the target of other prisoners while waiting for trial. Jack did not have to testify, which was good. The man got a lengthy sentence and was finally transferred out of the County jail where Kaylee and Ivory work to prison; because of the family connection, Kaylee and Ivory were not allowed to have any contact with him while he was in jail.

Yesterday Christina and I went to the final day of the Pensacola library's annual three-day Fall book sale, where we happened to meet Erin and Trey. For the final day one could fill up a bag with books for just seven dollars. After two days, the books -- in every category imaginable -- were pretty well picked over, but there remained many good and interesting titles. Trey kindly followed me around with my bag as I kept adding books. I ended up with thirty books; I've listed them on my blog today. Christina ended up with about a dozen books, and Erin and Trey picked up several for themselves. A very successful trip.

Because of my cataract operation, reading was at a minimum this week week. I finished only one book -- Alan E. Nourse's STAR SURGEON, which was my FFB this week and one short story which was my Wednesday Short Story selection this week. I'm able to read about five pages at a time and am now only half-way through Preston and Child's apocalyptic-threat novel MOUNT DRAGON. Reading should pick up next week.

Surprisingly, although my eyes were not able to read much, I have been able to put in a lot of time and concentration on my latest jigsaw puzzle, a very tricky 1000-piecer. I've done about two-thirds of the puzzle and should finish it by mid-week.

Ellen has been very impressed with the scented candles I have lit in my room and has gotten a candle of her own. I hope she doesn't set the place on fire.

Speaking of on fire, I hope that you will continue to fire on all cylinders this week. I'm very impressed with how active you are, Patti. Also, that's a great picture of Megan, although I'm wondering just how tilted that floor was. Stay well and stay safe.