Detroit has always celebrated Labor Day probably more than most of the country because of the auto industry and the associated workers unions. There are marches and bridge crossings and a lot of people standing around with petitions of some sort. Here are some of these year's activities.
Top Labor Day Events
- Detroit Jazz Festival: Held at Hart Plaza and Wayne State University, this is the world's largest free jazz festival, running through the final day on Monday with special performances like Coltrane 100.
- Arts, Beats & Eats: Located in downtown Royal Oak, this massive festival features over 200 musical acts, local art, and dozens of food vendors through Monday.
- Hamtramck Labor Day Festival: Features live music, carnival rides, a parade, and the traditional pseudo-canoeing/yacht race.
- Labor Day Union March: Traditional march stepping through Corktown on Monday morning, followed by community showcases.
- Michigan State Fair: Hosted in Novi at the Vibe Credit Union Showplace with carnival rides, agricultural exhibits, and monster trucks through Monday.
Does Labor Day get as much attention where you are?


15 comments:
That sounds like a great set of events, Patti! It doesn't get as much attention here, but there are rallies.
Not much attention here on the Florida Panhandle, Patti, but I grew up in the Merrimack Valley of Massachusetts, where the American Industrial Age began in Lowell. In nearby Lawrence, where the Bread and Roses textile strike of 1912 occurred, Labor Day still remains a major holiday -- as well it should be.
They have the West Indian parade on Eastern Parkway in Brooklyn every year. Let's hope there is no violence this year.
We started several new shows this week. We watched the first three episodes of LANTERNS (HBO) and seem to like it a lot better than George did, going by his review. But then, not a Green Lantern fan, so don't have to compare it to the comic or previous films.
We have two more episodes of the latest REACHER (Amazon Prime) to go. I don't like it when you get one episode a week. It's extremely violent.
Started the latest LIONESS (Paramount + and Showtime), now that 5 episodes are out. Taylor Sheridan doesn't go in for subtlety, does he?
THE RIDGE (MHz Choice). I wasn't a big fan of Lauren Lyle as Karen Pirie - I thought she was miscast and too young (I'd have gone with someone like Laura Fraser) - and she is very unlikeable here. She's a Scottish anesthesiologist- and, clearly, drug dependent - who flies to New Zealand for her estranged sister's wedding, only to discover the sister dead.
SIMON COLEMAN (also MHz), on the other hand, is very likeable. He's an undercover cop in Paris who suddenly inherits responsibility for his nieces and nephew when his sister and brother in law are killed in a car wreck. He transfers to Aix-en-Provence to care for them.
So far, I am not a big fan of the Apple + series CRIMINAL RECORD with Peter Capaldi and Cush Jumbo, mostly due to her off-putting behavior.
Looking forward very much to the new series of the Israeli FAUDA. coming to Netflix tomorrow.
Happy Labor Day! Diane thinks Labor Day means we have to work so she's got me assisting her on washing the outside windows.
Like the Meyersons, I'm impatiently watching REACHER and looking forward to the Big Finish.
Diane and I are watching THE MARLOW MURDER CLUB and MARBLE HALL MURDER on PBS.
NFL games start in a couple days! Stay safe!
Sorry about the black balls. I can't get them off. I am watching MY BRILLIANT CAREER, THE LOOMING TOWER and LANTERNS.
About to start a Jim Thompson book. Just finished PHILOMENA which was not much like the movie.
Jerry has them as well...i'm in hospital, a bad gall bk
or even gall bladder removed...healing, but still here..
Todd, how many doctors took a look at you when you entered and said, "You have some gall!"
Heal well.
Yikes, Todd. So sorry to hear that.
You are right, Patti. Detroit does have a lot more going on for Labor Day than Santa Barbara. Today there is the Santa Barbara Studio Artists Announce 25th Annual Open Studios Tour, which sounds nice but I have never been to it.
The temperature at 9:50 a.m. was 76 degrees, and the "feels like" temperature was 88. At 3:00 this afternoon it will be 82 and the "feels like" temperature will be 90. We did go out for a short walk around our condominium area earlier, but probably won't leave the house for anything else.
Last night we watched GOOD OMENS 3, and enjoyed it. We recently watched the first episode of the MARLOW MURDER CLUB and will continue with that. We are continuing to watch MURDER IN A SMALL TOWN, set in a small coastal town in British Columbia, based on the mystery series by L. R. Wright. We like that although the stories are nothing like the books and are pretty thin. Sometimes setting and characters are enough. Watching that has motivated to get back to reading that series. I have all 9 books in the series but have only read 4 of them.
Glen is reading SEA OF TRANQUILITY by Emily St. John Mandel, and enjoying it very much.
This week I read THE BIRDS AND THE BEASTS WERE THERE by Margaret Millar, a memoir published in 1967 about the previous ten years when she was living in Montecito, California and started birdwatching. The writing was beautiful and I love reading about birds. The focus mostly was on birds in her "back yard" (her house overlooked a canyon) and her adventures finding food for them. Her husband Ross Macdonald (Ken Millar) also started birdwatching shortly after she did and they were both active in the community. The book was similar to Amy Tan's THE BACKYARD BIRD CHRONICLES, although the focus in Tan's book was on drawing the birds she saw.
Jeff, we watched the first episode of CRIMINAL RECORD and did not continue it because we did not like the characters.
Thanks, folks...things are mostiy going OK...first completely internal surgery for some years, so I'll get to do a bit more Organ Recital. Happily, knock around guys here, Jerry, suggest I have some stones, as well. Knock around staff are a jolly lot.
My DIL is a big Mandel fan. The Millar book sounds great. Will look for it.
I was visiting my mother over the weekend and drove back Monday evening. I twice went to the coffee shop near her home on Monday. The place was busy both times and I over-tipped because I think they should have been closed anyway.
I started watching LANTERNS last week and have enjoyed it quite a bit.
Author Chloe Benjaimn is going to be in Madison tonight or tomorrow as part of the book festival. Because of that I tried out THE IMMORTALISTS and do not understand how it was a best seller. Now listening to Tana French's THE SEARCHER and it is better.
Started reading I'M A FAN by Sheena Patel. Woman in London is sorta involved with a famed married man who screws around behind his wife's back with multiple women. The main character gets obsesses with one of those women. A bit of an oddball book but quote good.
Post a Comment