Friday, November 03, 2023

FFB: UNCLE PAUL, Celia Fremlin

 

Uncle Paul was put into prison fifteen years ago and his sentence is about up. Three sisters take a beach holiday together and all of them are dreading his return. The early part of this book is amusing and clever in how well Fremlin captures a holiday in a slightly seedy British resort. But as the book moves on tension rises as all three of the sisters grow wary of the men in their lives. Could they be Uncle Paul, who none have seen in years? Or are they just like him in some ways? The book took a long time in introducing the tension and a long time in explaining it at the end. I had read another book (THE HOURS BFORE DAWN) and liked it quite a bit, but this one, despite the eerie atmosphere in the second half, just didn't hold my interest. Why do these women all involve themselves with men they hardly know. I guess this is the impact of Uncle Paul on them.

5 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

Sometimes those 'slow burn' novels do pack a punch, Patti. It sounds like an interesting setup for the novel.

TracyK said...

I still haven't read anything by Celia Fremlin. I do have a copy of THE HOURS BEFORE DAWN and one other book by her, APPOINTMENT WITH YESTERDAY. I don't usually like eerie atmospheres, but still I want to read her something by her.

Todd Mason said...

I've read her work in "Hitchcock" anthologies years back, but nothing comes back clearly in memory. Never rule out a writer forcing the narrative for convenience's sake...

Karen Paul said...

Your blog is so beautiful, I have been so busy lately about life but let me share with you all about my health life experience with the great herbal traditional doctor that saved the life of mine and my dear husband.
I was suffering from a deadly disease herpes and diabetes and i went through alot trying to get better each everyday of my life until I came across a testimony on blogs someone telling good about Dr Jekawo, a traditional herbal doctor that cure all kind of disease such as: herpes,diabetes,epilepsy,cancer,hpv,lupus,degenerative disease,shingles,erectile dysfunction also bring back ex,leukemia,fibroid and other spiritual consultations, I contacted him via drjekawo@gmail.com then he prepared the herbal medicines and send to me which takes 21 days treatment that cured my diabetes and herpes completely,I'm so grateful with the help he rendered to me therefore I promised to share his great works.
Thank you and I hope this could save someone else out there.
Karen Paul
South Carolina.

Todd Mason said...

Spam above.