Friday, November 10, 2023

FFB: HUSH, HUSH Laura Lippman



A welcome return of Tess Monaghan in a fine addition to the series. Tess is now a mother and that role makes her both suited and ill-suited to looking into security issues for a woman, Melisandre Dawes, who murdered her infant daughter on a hot day one August.

Dawes got off, suffering from Post Partum Depression, but her return to Baltimore more than a decade later stirs up trouble for her two surviving daughters (now teens), her former husband, now remarried, and his new wife and son. Throw into the mix an attempt of Melisandre to tell her story via a documentary film maker and someone who seems to have it in for Tess. This is a well-populated tale, but Lippman is skillful in keeping it sorted out for the reader.

I enjoyed seeing Tess cope with motherhood in a palpably loving yet very human way.  I love Lippman's standalones, but this novel functioned as both. We had a nice mix of Tess and her gang along with the gaggle of girls who occupied this case.  A very fine novel indeed.

 

4 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

My goodness, Patti, I haven't read a Tess Monaghan novel in awhile! I do like her character, though, and I like the way she grows as as the series goes on. Thanks for the reminder.

TracyK said...

I have only read one book by Lippman, the first of the Tess Monaghan books. I have a few more in that series and a couple of her stand alones on my shelves.

Todd Mason said...

Sounds good!

Karen Paul said...

Your blog is so beautiful, I have been so busy lately about life but let me share with you all about my health life experience with the great herbal traditional doctor that saved the life of mine and my dear husband.
I was suffering from a deadly disease herpes and diabetes and i went through alot trying to get better each everyday of my life until I came across a testimony on blogs someone telling good about Dr Jekawo, a traditional herbal doctor that cure all kind of disease such as: herpes,diabetes,epilepsy,cancer,hpv,lupus,degenerative disease,shingles,erectile dysfunction also bring back ex,leukemia,fibroid and other spiritual consultations, I contacted him via drjekawo@gmail.com then he prepared the herbal medicines and send to me which takes 21 days treatment that cured my diabetes and herpes completely,I'm so grateful with the help he rendered to me therefore I promised to share his great works.
Thank you and I hope this could save someone else out there.
Karen Paul
South Carolina.