Friday, June 02, 2023

FFB: IN THE MORNING I'LL BE GONE


 


IN THE MORNING I'LL BE GONE, Adrian McKinty

This is the third book of what McKinty calls THE TROUBLES TRILOGY. This won the Ned Kelly Award and I enjoyed it immensely. It's a locked room murder inside a story of the troubles. I have not read the first two books so that probably factors in to a certain lack of knowledge of the character and his problems with the Royal Ulster Constabulary,

Sean Duffy has a chance for reinstatement in the local forces if he is able to find the whereabouts of an infamous IRA member. The two were childhood friends so this gives him a certain insight into the terrorist. His deal with those who can tell him Dermot's whereabouts is to solve the locked room murder of their daughter a few years back. And watching Duffy solve this crime is enjoyable. McKinty writes very clearly and yet doesn't repeat himself. It's a pleasure to be led through the clues by such a good plotter.

Also enjoyable is McKinty's use of Joseph Kennedy Jr. on a trip to Belfast. And the final scenes, which take place during Margaret Thatcher's stay in a Brighton Hotel, are exciting. I liked the style of writing and the cast of characters a lot. We get some of Duffy's life but not enough to slow the action down. I also really like the single POV in this book. It does make following a plot easier. Highly recommended for crime fiction lovers.


4 comments:

Todd Mason said...

Thanks for the tip. Wonder if it was more warmly-received in Australia (Ned Kelly Award) than in (the) Ireland(s)...

Margot Kinberg said...

Oh, I do like McKinty's writing, Patt. His Sean Duffy character is interesting, and I think you make a good point about the choice of POV here. It's effective.

George said...

I enjoyed all of Adrian McKinty's Sean Duffy mysteries. Ireland was sure a scary place during that time!

Jeff Meyerson said...

I agree. I read the trilogy and three three further Duffy novels that followed it, and I am happy to see that there are three more to be published here.