Wednesday, September 02, 2020

First Wednesday Book Review: THE DUTCH HOUSE, Ann Patchett

I listened to Tom Hanks read this book and perhaps that was part of the reason it worked so well for me. Because as I read some Amazon reviews, a lot of readers found this book lacking in a compelling story And I will admit that there was not a lot of plot. You had to be satisfied with an evocation of a family and place to enjoy it. The Dutch House is the story of a family that purchases a large, striking house in Elkins Park, PA. The story is filtered through the son, Danny, and there is initially just a sister (Maeve) and some (beloved) household staff. 

The father is absent a lot and the mother has completely disappeared. The book does not explain what caused this schism until nearly the end. A sad little household evolves into an even sadder household when the father suddenly marries a woman with two little girls. Danny and Maeve are very close and the book dwells a lot on their relationship. Since there is not a lot of plot, I will leave it here but say I found it a very satisfying read, especially through the voice of Tom Hanks. I grew up and went to school in the area that the book takes place in but I don't think that mattered too much. I have liked all of Patchett's work. And all of Tom Hanks' movies. If they ever make A Wonderful Life over again, Hanks should play George. And Ivanka comparing her father to him is the greatest misunderstanding of character I ever remember. 

Find more First Wednesday Reviews at Barrie Summy's blog.
 

10 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

Elkins Park isn't far at all from where I lived for several years, Patti. That in itself is appealing about the story. And it's interesting how we're impacted by the way we experience a story (audio, Kindle, etc..).

Barrie said...

More and more, I listen to audio books. I still read books. But I've come to love an audio book for when I'm gardening (quite a bit these past months) or driving (not so often lately). A good narrator really affects the experience. I wonder if Tom Hanks has narrated other books. I like Bel Canto, but haven't yet read The Dutch House. It's on my list, though, so I was looking forward to your review. Thank you!

George said...

Diane and I enjoyed listen to Tom Hanks narrating THE DUTCH HOUSE, too. You might remember my review: http://georgekelley.org/the-dutch-house-by-ann-patchett-narrated-by-tom-hanks/

Diane's Book Club read Ann Patchett's BEL CANTO and loved it.

pattinase (abbott) said...

The other books he has narrated are about WW 2 and his own book of stories on typewriters.
My book group loved BEL CANTO too.

Jeff Meyerson said...

Yeah, Trump could be Mr. Potter.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I've liked Ann Patchett ever since she opened the bookstore in Nashville. I liked her non-fiction THIS IS THE STORY OF A HAPPY MARRIAGE.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I need to read that.

Lucy said...

Sounds interesting. And I will say this, I once listened to Steve Martin read one of the books he has written and while I remember nothing about the story or even what the book was, his reading of it kept me in it. It could be a whole new career for him. Sounds like it could be for Tom Hanks as well.

Thanks for reviewing.

Powell River Books said...

I enjoy reading books set in areas I know. That's one reason I enjoyed the book I reviewed this month so much. That and she lived in a float home. Tom Hanks is a wonderful actor, I'm sure his voice added a lot to the book's enjoyment. - Margy

Jenn Jilks said...

That is interesting. I don't do audio books, perhaps I should. We're all sitting around reading this morning!