Tuesday, May 01, 2018

Movies: YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE



A very strange little film that was too violent for our tastes. A hitman that uses a hammer as a weapon? Phoenix does a decent job of making this guy somewhat sympathetic. He has been the victim of violence as a child and violence as a soldier. And he is tender toward his mother and toward a young girl he rescues. There are some amazing scenes but all in all, it was just too bleak for the bleak world we live in. Phoenix does himself no favors by the scripts he chooses to make. And the mumbling does get old.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honestly, probably not a film for me. The violence would probably put me right off.

Jeff Meyerson said...

Yeah, he's become weirder and weirder over the years, and we have not enjoyed his recent films at all. Pass.

Steve Oerkfitz said...

Have not seen this yet. Violence doesn't bother me. I did like Inherent Vice. And he has The Sisters Brothers which is based on a novel I like coming out next year. His next movie out this summer is Gus Van Sant's He Won't Get Far On Foot based on John Callahans book.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Anxious to see THE SISTER BROTHERS.

George said...

I'm with you on violence, but I make exceptions for ATOMIC BLONDE, JOHN WICK, and DEAD POOL.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I loved Callahan's book and I am definitely interested in that movie.

Jennifer Croissant said...

These kinds of movies really are becoming so out-moded and tiresome, to be quite honest i`ll be glad when the special-effects extravaganza`s finally take over completely. For instance, AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR was quite astonishing in its unparallelled magnificence and astounding visual grandeur, a truly incredible cinematic roller-coaster of the highest order and calibre (as it were).

Steve Oerkfitz said...

Patti-Jennifer sounds a lot like the fake me.