Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Forgotten TV Series: CASE HISTORIES

It is funny how often something that worked beautifully in a novel doesn't in a two-parter. I think a book allows a story to unfold more slowly. What seemed thrilling in this book when I read it probably nearly a decade ago seems like a jumble of too-similar plot lines in this production. Two dead girls, two missing girls: how to keep the storylines apart.
Jackson Brodie (Jason Issacs) takes on three cases all dealing with girls. Then, of course, there is his own daughter and girlfriends. Two many women to keep straight. A disappointment and you know what, I think I saw it in 2011 when it came out. It is followed by her other three novels and two original scripts.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder of this one, Patti. I've honestly never seen it, though I do remember ads for it and so on.

George said...

Sometimes the transition from book to movie works, sometimes it doesn't. I liked the BBC WALLANDER series based on Henning Mankell's Kurt Wallander novels. Kenneth Branagh played the eponymous police inspector.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I totally agree on this one. I liked the book, but the TV adaptation was a jumbled up mess. Jackie likes Robson Green but it just didn't work like the book did.

George, I keep meaning to try the original Swedish Wallander, as I wasn't thrilled with the changes they made in the Branagh version.

Jeff Meyerson said...

One I would recommend after reading all the books is the Italian TV adaptation of Andrea Camilleri's Inspector Montalbano series. We bought several of the British DVD collections, so I don't know which are available here. They seemed closer to the books than the Branagh Wallander series.

pattinase (abbott) said...

The original Wallander series is better. They stopped making it when the actress who played his daughter committed suicide. though. It might still be on Netflix.
I saw one of them, Jeff, but they disappeared.

Steve Oerkfitz said...

Liked Isaacs in The Brotherhood which ran a couple of seasons on Showtime. Don't remember much about Case Histories other than the fact that I watched them.
Not big on BBC's adaptions. Didn't like their Ian Rankin and Peter Robinson adaptions. Did like their Tony Hillerman ones but they only did a couple( both leads are in Hostiles).

pattinase (abbott) said...

The Brotherhood was good. Every British series seems much like every other one. I guess that is true of US series too.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.