Monday, March 27, 2017

Things That Make Me Happy


My book talk at the Grosse Pointe Public Library went very well last week. More than 70 people turned out and I only knew about a dozen of them. They asked wonderful questions about my books, writing, other writers. It lasted nearly 90 minutes. I was so glad it turned out well because Diana Howbert, the librarian that set it up, had really pushed for having me and made all kinds of arrangements to make it a success. She even manged to get the local newspaper to publicize it--a real feat. I love my new side of town, but the GPPL is one of the great institutions of my life.

I am really enjoying my second William Kent Kruger novel, IRON LAKE. I broke my one author-one book rule to read it and am glad I did. I can hardly believe it was a debut novel. The writing is so skilled but not slick. My favorite combo.

There was a lot I didn't like about the movie PERSONAL SHOPPER, but Kristen Stewart, who was in every scene, was not one of them. What a terrific career looms in front of her.

I am so happy that Affordable Health Act is still in place. It may not be perfect but the draconian measures being put forth by Ryan and his band of thieves would have been disastrous. Crossed fingers they can be defeated on their plans for the tax code, the wall, etc.

I am thankful for my wonderful son, his wife, and Kevin who came to my book talk as they have come to all of them. And also to the friends who turned out for the third time. Family and friends, that's what it is all about, right? This was a long trip for all of them.

Loved Fran Lebowitz' BY THE BOOK piece in the NYT which managed to be humble and arrogant at the same time.

We were lucky enough to go to the DSO and hear Branford Marsalis and the DSO play  GABRIEL PROKOFIEV Saxophone Concerto (DSO premiere). Truly a stunning concert with Gabriel's grandfathers's ROMEO AND JULIET suite too. 
Sometimes I forget how many things I have to make me happy.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's always so good to remember the good things in life. Wish I'd been able to see your book talk!

Jeff Meyerson said...

That's great, Patti. So glad the talk went so well.

I'm happy we had a great 9 weeks in Florida and got all packed up and home safe and sound in one piece - always my #1 concern on these trips. (The weather since we've been back - not so good.)

For once I didn't feel we'd either stayed too long (years when it gets too hot towards the end; this year, like here, March was cooler than February in Florida) or left too soon (despite the cold here). I think we pretty much have it down, we're adding a week next year (leaving a week earlier in January), and already have our reservation, at the same price as this year.

We have tickets for our first show since our return (Paula Vogel's INDECENT), so that's good.

We're enjoying returning to our favorite restaurants, all of which are intact.

George said...

Congratulations on your book talk!

I'm happy about the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament. Unlikely teams like the Oregon Ducks (my new favorite team!) and the South Carolina Gamecocks making the Final Four make next weeks games exciting.

I can see my lawn again as the 18 inches of snow that fell a week ago has completely melted.

The failure of repealing and replacing Obama Care saved 24 million people's health insurance.

Steve Oerkfitz said...

I'm happy about the warming temps here in Michigan.
About baseball little over a week away.
The failure of repealing Obamacare.

J F Norris said...

Thanks so much for pointing out the Fran Lebowitz Q&QA. Learned a lot about her and she became a bit more human to me. She always seemed obnoxious to me, in an amusing way. Learning about her library and love of books, however, made her startlingly attractive. That she has been a lifelong mystery addict made me smile. I also liked this confession:

"But really, I read in order not to be in life. Reading is better than life. Without reading, you’re stuck with life."

It so entirely matches my outlook about Life and reading. This is why I will probably be alone for the rest of my life. As long as there are books, however, I really don't much care.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Most of her answers would have been mine if I had enough nerve to say them.

Rick Robinson said...

Glad to be done with today's medical stuff

Glad to see the sun after half an inch of rain yesterday

Glad the Oregon Ducks bat Kansas in their NCAA game Saturday

Happy the Daffodils are still blooming.

Happy your book talk went so well!

Anonymous said...

Sylvester Stallone had the nerve to tell Kristen Stewart she wasn`t pretty enough, she replyed by saying she didn`t have to be because she is such a great actress, good for her!.

Deb-

Gerard Saylor said...

We had to buy a new computer, router, and modem on Saturday. The purchase was way more than I wanted to spend. But, the total cost is still less than the computer we bought four years ago.

Plus: After some trouble I was able to get the modem working and cancelled the appointment for the cable company guy to come over.

The new cat has a favorite LEGO piece that is a wide wheel piece. He bats the LEGO and chases it around on the hard floors. My wife was cleaning the house Sunday and collected all the damn - er, I mean wonderful - LEGOs. We have a 30 gallon size plastic bin we use to try and contain most of the LEGOs. My wife says that after she was collecting all the pieces the cat went to the LEGO bin, picked out two identical pieces to his favorite, and took them away.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I love your responses, Gerard. They are so warm and family-oriented. (And you have an awfully smart cat).

Jerry House said...

Watching my grandkids zip-line over hundreds of crocodiles. They (the kids, not the crocs) had a blast.

Leisurely wandering through St. Augustine, enjoying the company, the sights, and the shops.

Reading and enjoying Megan's new book and knowing that she came from talented genes.

Count me among those happy that repeal and replace imploded. Not that I need health now. I figure if the diarrhea of Trumptweets haven't given me stroke yet, I'm gonna live forever.

47 years of happiness and daily becoming a better person because of it.

Watching the four-year-old Kangaroo's soccer team trying to master the intricacies of the game. They had a lot of fun this afternoon, even though they lost, 2-1 in dog scores.

So glad you had a good week!

pattinase (abbott) said...

I love you people so.