Monday, March 06, 2017

Things That Make Me Happy

That we had a perfect week in Key West with our oldest friends and that we still find things to talk about 24-7. (Books, movies, plays, politics, kids, common friends, our past). Hope you each have friends like this.

That Jordan Peele made such a smart, funny, scary movie: GET OUT. The more I thought about it, the better it got. We saw it in a theater full of 20- somethings on a Tuesday night.

That the team from LaLa Land showed such class in realizing MOONLIGHT had won and immediately stepping aside.

That my grandson can draw a picture like this one at age 10. I couldn't do it now. He can also skate like the wind.

That I enjoyed two books on my trip, SISTERLAND by Curtis Sittenfeld and THE ICE BENEATH HER by Camilla Grebe (Swedish). Although I have to say I figured the second one out halfway through much to Phil's consternation. And that is my gripe with books that depend too heavily on whodunit. If you figure it out, the incentive to finish it nosedives. Still a good story.

That GIRLS' Lena Dunham managed to write such a smart episode of GIRLS (American Bitch). Matthew Rhys made the perfect seductor and bravely she allowed her character to fall into it. Only in the last seconds does it feel like a TV episode and not a one-act play. Like her or not, like GIRLS or not, she is brilliant.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really need to start thinking along these 'things that make me happy' lines more often, Patti. Thanks for the reminder. One thing that makes me happy: Having good blog friends like yourself.

George said...

Sounds like you had a great vacation! Katie is vacationing in Barbados. GOOGLE is sending Patrick to Munich, Zurich, and Barcelona next week (but that's "work"). Our next trips are to Ohio next month and GOOGLE LAND in May.

I'm happy it will be 60 degrees here tomorrow. Yesterday, we woke up to 11 degrees (windchill temperature -2!). Roller-coaster weather!

Jerry House said...

I'm happy to wake up without a scratchy throat after battling a cold for several days.

I'm also happy that Kitty's feeling better even after she gave me said cold.

I'm happy that there is a Resist movement on Florida's Panhandle -- the reddest part of the state.

I'm happy a friend posted a picture of a tufted coquette hummingbird on Facebook.

I'm happy that grandson Mark came in second in a half-marathon with about 500 runners.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I am going to a Resist meeting Wed, night where the intention is to send over a million postcards to Trump stating our primary objections to his presidency. One postcard is not enough to fit them all in.

Jeff Meyerson said...

Patti, so glad you and Phil had a good week. We like Key West - I like the feel of being at the end of the continent, as well as the general vibe and the restaurants - though we haven't been down there in several years.

Good things this week? So glad MOONLIGHT and Mahershala Ali won the Oscars.

Another beautiful week of weather in South Florida. I'm really enjoying having our new (to us) car, too.

Nice afternoon and lunch with my cousin and his wife. He's exactly a year younger than me (9 days older than my brother), and even though he lives on Long Island we're more likely to see him in the winter down here.

Gerard Saylor said...

A bland week. Which is actually something to be happy for. No expensive break downs, no illnesses.

I attended an intellectual freedom workshop last Wed. led by the guy who runs the ALA's Office for Intellectual Freedom. The dude knows his stuff and the two hours were well worth my time.

Jeff Meyerson said...

And I am very impressed by Kevin's picture.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks, Jeff. Yes, it was hard to leave FL.
That sounds interesting, Gerard. Important stuff.
The bird population in FL must be very different than Maryland, Jerry.

Jerry House said...

The bird is from South America, not Florida, Patti. It's just a beautiful thing to look at.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://i.ytimg.com/vi/3kx82sLoiNY/hqdefault.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D3kx82sLoiNY&h=360&w=480&tbnid=19ay_ytJEjJdUM:&vet=1&tbnh=150&tbnw=200&docid=fq4gmtSQx3RM0M&itg=1&usg=__83ZXLzteaaYNjbQDD0boBp9iUOQ=&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwitjrarpsLSAhXMZiYKHbGSAV8Q_B0IZDAK&ei=W469WO30BczNmQGxpYb4BQ#h=360&imgrc=19ay_ytJEjJdUM:&tbnh=150&tbnw=200&vet=1&w=480

Rick Robinson said...

It's snowing as I type this, so:

I'm happy to have a wonderful, beautiful and tight-against-weather home

With a good heating system

I'm happy that there are the faintest stirrings of Spring in the yard: the Crocus are up.

I'm glad Barbara's awful toothache, infection and root canal are better!

I'm happy local apples are still so good and in the market.

Wonderful drawing, and I'm so glad you have s good time in the Keys.

Steve Oerkfitz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.