Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Forgotten TV: THE GILMORE GIRLS

Okay, this is the show I watch if I need some comfort TV. Or even if I don't. And if I had to pick a favorite episode I would pick the first one because it introduced almost all of the important players and it also introduced a style of dialog that was different from other TV shows. It must have taken some searching to find two actresses who could fire off these sentences as well as these two.






In this episode, we learn that Rory wants to go to a school that will help her fulfill her dream to go to Harvard and that means hitting up her estranged grandparents for tuition. Never too saccharine, never too dark, the perfect tonic for our times. Looking at the update this year was a bit troubling though. Somehow their habit of mocking everyone grew tiresome. So I will stick with the originals.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter and I used to watch this one together. We always really enjoyed it.

Todd Mason said...

I wasn't swept up by the reunion episode I've watched, either, even it it was better than the last season, on balance.

Graham's legs on display from that first episode, afterward appearing in the opening montage...well, one could see why.

GILMORE GIRLS (no article) overlapped one season with ONCE AND AGAIN, and was my methadone after the loss of O&A...

pattinase (abbott) said...

The family drama is rare.

Deb said...

Patti, did you manage to get hold of all 19 episodes of MY SO-CALLED LIFE on DVD or Youtube and watch them like you said you were going to ! ?, i`d love to know what your favourite episodes are.

Deb-

George said...

Diane and Katie loved THE GILMORE GIRLS. One Christmas, we bought Katie the entire GILMORE GIRLS series on DVD. Diane and Katie loved the latest revival on NETFLIX.