Saturday, January 21, 2017

Anniversary Waltz: THE STORY OF US

On the 21st, Phil and I will have been married 50 years. As is often the case, in a way it seems like forever, but in other ways it seems like yesterday. We had known only each other a year and half. We got married between semesters of graduate school for Phil at Rutgers. I had just turned 19. He was 22. After spending the first weekend together at our new apartment in New Brunswick, I returned home to work for Bell of PA until I could get a transfer to New Jersey. It didn't seem as odd at the time as it does now. I was still a child in most senses of the word.

We had met in the summer of 1965 in New Hope, his hometown. His parents owned a luncheonette/newsstand there. I had worked in New Hope the summer before but that summer I just happened to be visiting the friend I had roomed with in '64. It looked to be a summer romance for both of us. And nearly was. I think we both went off to college believing that. But after a time, it became clear it was more.
Crystal Palace where we both worked in '66 and I worked in '64
A warm January in Philly. Phil's brother, Billy, is missing from this picture. That's my brother, Jeff, on the left.

Phil finished his Ph.D in 1970, the year our son, Josh, was born. We moved to Michigan where Phil got a tenure track job teaching political science. A year later, Megan came along. Fifty years, wow.

Today I will be marching in the Million Women Parade in Detroit. Then we will drive to Chelsea MI and see a play and spend the night. Tomorrow we will have brunch with the Agnews in Ann Arbor (Aunt Agatha's Bookstore) A nice day.


17 comments:

Joe Barone said...

We had our fiftieth a couple years ago. I count it among my greatest blessings. Congratulations to you two.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks so much, Joe. We are off for a weekend trip so this will probably be my only response. Thanks to all who come here.

Jeff Meyerson said...

Wow. Congratulations on 50 great years. (We just had #46.) You really were a baby then! I'm proud of you for marching - George Kelley's daughter is going to the March in Washington.

Have a great weekend.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Megan is there too. Almost every woman I know is going to a march somewhere. Fingers crossed there is no trouble. Thanks!

George said...

Congratulations to you and Phil on the Big 5-Oh! Maybe Katie will see Megan at the Women's March in D.C.! Enjoy your weekend of celebration!

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary, Patti and Phil! So happy for you both!

Unknown said...

Happy anniversary, young lovers!

Richard Wheeler said...

Blessed by each other. Congratulations.

Jeff Meyerson said...

Wow! 50 is so impressive. Can't think of a more appropriate way to spend the days. It's almost like channeling those protest marches of our youth. I'll be marching with you in spirit.

Congatulaions to you and Phil. Enjoy that weekend as if you were still 19 and 22.

Jackie

Jerry House said...

50 is a nice round number. Congratulations to both you lovebirds. (I'd say, "Get a room!" but you evidently already have that covered.) May you have many more years together as a shining example for the rest of us. And, be safe at the March.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Happy Anniversary, Patti and Phil! Wishing you many more years of togetherness.

Rick Robinson said...

Many, many congratulations on your Golden Jubilee. When I think back to 1964 it seems forever ago, I was in my first year of college. Your story of meeting Phil and falling in love is wonderful. I hope you have a wonderful day and many more anniversaries.

SteveHL said...

Happy anniversary with many more to follow!

Mathew Paust said...

Congratulations, Phil and Patti! And brava, Patti, for marching!

Elgin Bleecker said...

Patti – Happy Anniversary. Hope you had a wonderful day.

Todd Mason said...

As others have wished, a very happy anniversary and many more! Glad you were able to go to one of the marches...as well as have some less mixed pleasure...

Al Tucher said...

The picture of Crystal Palace looks like it might`ve been painted by Edward Hopper, kinda` magical.