Tuesday, March 22, 2016

West Wing: The Cathedral




“Two Cathedrals”
The second season finale is probably one of the best episodes of television and the best to my mind of WEST WING.
The world now knows about President's Bartlet’s MS, but he’s not worried about that. Instead, he’s focused on the death of his secretary, Mrs. Landingham (Kathryn Joosten), who we see, through flashbacks, as his father’s secretary at boarding school. She’s the one who taught him how to argue, how to fight for what he believes in. She's a trusted ally in a place where they are few. She's his conduit into the needs of the people. Someone who is not a beltway voice.
Bartlet’s speech in the church, following Mrs. Landingham’s funeral,show features some of Aaron Sorkin’s best writing. It humanizes the President, the show and the writer.



7 comments:

Jeff Meyerson said...

I agree. That is certainly one of the most memorable, possibly the most memorable, episodes.

Charles Gramlich said...

I never watched this show, though I heard good things about it

George said...

I agree with you and Jeff. THE CATHEDRAL is one of the best episodes ever to be broadcast on TV.

Rick Robinson said...

I never watched it either, a case of getting in too late. There were people in the office I worked in at that time who never missed it and would eagerly hash over each episode the next day.

Scott D. Parker said...

[Can't see the clip here at the day job.] I remember this one very well. Loved it. Isn't it the one where he announces his bid for reelection and crosses his feet behind the podium?

Taffy Welshman said...

Has anybody seen Robert Aldrich's astonishing 1976 masterwork "Twilights Last Gleaming" ? starring Burt Lancaster, the complete unedited version is arguably the greatest political thriller of all-time!.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely loved this series! And this is a fine scene. Thanks for reminding me, Patti.