Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Forgotten Movies: Clean and Sober

Now that Michael Keaton has finally landed what looks like a successful movie (BIRDMAN) I took a look at his earlier films and CLEAN AND SOBER from 1988 was an early success for him. Directed by Glenn Gordon Caron (MOONLIGHTING) this film details the story of a man who tries to hide in a drug rehab center to escape his problems with various entities only to find that he indeed belongs there himself. Kathy Baker, Morgan Freeman and Tate Donvan fill out the cast. This was a solid acting job for Keaton. Taking the role of BATMAN probably did not help his career.

Keaton should have had a better career. So many actors seem unlucky or unwise in their choices. Hoping BIRDMAN will send him on a more successful path.
***********************************************************

My Halloween story THE ANGEL DEEB, which first appeared in DEADLY TREATS, a print anthology edited by Theresa Weir, now appears on BEAT TO A PULP. Thanks, David Cranmer.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad to see him back in BIRDMAN. I hope it leads to some more good roles for him.

Anonymous said...

CLEAN AND SOBER was a good one.

Also, I liked the story a lot.


Jeff M.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I've not thought of this film in forever. It was a solid film, too. Thanks

Charles Gramlich said...

I've tended to like Keaton as villains. However, bird man looks interesting.

George said...

I have my doubts about BIRDMAN. It could get lost in the Holiday Rush of movies like the Hunger Games MOCKINGJAY and the final HOBBIT installment.

pattinase (abbott) said...

It's out here but just at one theater.

TracyK said...

Angel Deeb is a lovely story, Patti. I like the characters.
Thanks for the recommendation.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thank you so much, Tracy. So kind of you!

Ron Scheer said...

I liked CLEAN AND SOBER and never forgot it, or the last line, "Thank you for not smoking." Thought it was very truthful about addiction and recovery. Keaton also has a wonderful small comic role as a DEA agent in Soderbergh's OUT OF SIGHT (Clooney, Lopez, etc.).