Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Forgotten Movies: Strangers When We Meet





The first book I read when finally allowed to enter the adult section of my library was this one. The book was by Evan Hunter and he also adapted the screen play from his novel.

Sudsy but pure bliss for a twelve year old. I am not sure how I got into the
theater but I did. A twelve-year old wearing high heels and short white gloves looked older then. I sometimes think I had more confidence then than now.

Douglas and Novak are married to others but bored with their marriages. Novak never looked more beautiful. Douglas brings his usual intensity to the part. Who doesn't want a mid-life romance? Did I say that? Not me.

For more movie, check with Todd.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never read it but I do remember the movie. Did you really wear white gloves and heels?

Jeff M.

pattinase (abbott) said...

We did. My friend and I put on our Sunday best, which even included a hat, and went downtown to the big theaters Philly used to have. It assured us of getting in-we did our hair in french twists. And before or after we had lunch at a friends' father's bar down there. Dates with boys were a real disappointment after this.

iluvcinema said...

Interesting-looking 50's era melodrama. Some suds CAN be good for you :)

Yvette said...

I saw this in the theater too but I was older than twelve. :)

Kim Novak was truly beautiful in this and as she usually had that bored look down pat, this was no stretch for her. Kirk was, as you say, his usual intense self with maybe less gritted teeth than usual. :)

Terrific movie. But I'm letting it stay in the past for me.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Certain memories are better left untouched!

Ron Scheer said...

Never saw this one, but I did find myself in the back row of Douglas Sirk movies when there was nothing else playing. Didn't occur to me they were soaps, just movies for grown-ups.

Deb said...

Ernie Kovaks gives a surprisingly serious performance in this one. And I seem to remember Walter Mattau in a somewhat villanous role.

Deb said...

BTW, I wish someone had adapted Evan Hunter's MOTHERS AND DAUGHTERS which was the first "adult" (as in situations and style) novel I ever read and truly understood. It also has the slowly-revealed shocking revelation as a central part element--a plot device I still enjoy.