Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Forgotten Films: THE MUSIC OF CHANCE

This is not only one of my favorite movies, but one of my favorite books. Few book to film projects turn out this well.



Paul Auster is one of those writers that I sometimes love and sometimes don't.
Patinkin is even more problematic, but this story puts both men in a great light. And, of course, Spader is Spader- wild and unpredictable. Can't wait to see him in The Office this year.

In this book and film, James Spader (Pozzi) agrees to finance Nash (Patinkin) in a poker game with Flower (Durning) and Stone (Grey). Things don't go well and eventually they grow much worse. Just like the best of noir.

This movie got one of my highest rankings in 1993. The book would rank a solid ten since Auster invented the story. The director(Haas) seems to have slipped into obscurity after this. Too bad. It was well done.

You can find more movie, right here at Todd's Cinema.

4 comments:

Paul D Brazill said...

Great book, great film, great choice.

Jerry House said...

You had my wife at James Spader. I'm sure she will arrange to see this one soon, with me happily at her side.

pattinase (abbott) said...

This is a really different part for him considering he was still a young man at the time.

Yvette said...

I feel the same about Auster, Patti. Loved BOOK OF ILLUSIONS and ORACLE NIGHT (though I never did figure out what this one was really about) but not so much the others.

I've never read THE MUSIC OF CHANCE nor ever heard of the movie.
It really IS overlooked and forgotten.

Sounds interesting.