Saturday, March 05, 2011

GO WITH ME, Castle Freeman


Donna Moore came up with the idea for an ALTERNATE WORLD BOOK NIGHT and asked people to post about a book they loved, why, and how they would give it away to someone.

The original WORLD BOOK NIGHT honored writers everyone knew about and Donna thought it would be nice to honor writers that people might not be familiar with.

My choice is GO WITH ME by Castle Freeman.

A young woman, alone in the world, is stalked by a man names Blackway (perfect name, isn't it?). He comes after her in various nefarious ways, forcing her to seek help from strangers in hew new Vermont town. She finds help in unlikely places in this smart, suspenseful, and magical short novel. It's a fairy tale, it's a horror story, it's a crime fiction novel. It's all of these. This book is elegant, lucid, magical and I will give it to the first person who asks.

5 comments:

Todd Mason said...

It does sound good. Wonder who Freeman is, unless the child of very playful parents. If someone else hasn't asked...

pattinase (abbott) said...

Remind me of your address, Todd. I do think you will like this one. Put it on my email.

Dorte H said...

Congratulations to Todd.

Great idea Donna had there.
This one sounds interesting, and I agree with Todd - American names never stop to amaze me because in Denmark we have lists of accepted names so parents can´t just call their children whatever springs to mind. Terribly limiting, perhaps, but the idea is to protect children against bullying. (But as there is no law against buckteeth, jutting ears etc I don´t know how many children are saved from cruel classmates, though).

pattinase (abbott) said...

I heard they do that in France too, but I never knew the reasoning behind it. Although last names can be just as problematic. Or combinations. Imagine if I had named my son my favorite name. Peter. Now say the whole name fast.

Dorte H said...

Pattie: parents should ALWAYS try the whole name :D