Sunday, June 13, 2010

WORK OF ART: The Next Great Artist (BRAVO)


We don't watch reality shows but George turned us on to TOP CHEF last year so when I saw this show was coming on, we gave it a try.

The Premise: fourteen artists compete for a show at the Brooklyn Museum of Art and $100, 000. The guy to the left did this in half a day. And didn't win. And he's 22. So you can see these artists, like the chefs in Top Chef, are not art school students. The first challenge was to paint a portrait of one of the other contestants.

I am hoping to learn more about art from the judges in this series. Some of the artists do the kind of work I find challenging. Maybe I will see its merits after three months. Or maybe I will see it has none.
We enjoyed the first one and agreed with the choice of the artist who was eliminated. He painted a clown--never a good idea.
It was on Wednesday night at eleven here. I assume it will move to ten when the earlier show concludes.

5 comments:

George said...

This sounds intriguing, Patti. I'll give it a try.

Charles Gramlich said...

Lana is watching this and I watched the first episode with her. Looks pretty interesting, especially since I know so little about how art is done.

Anonymous said...

Patti - Thanks for sharing this; it does sound intriguing.

pattinase (abbott) said...

It was fun and although I am not fond of "judging" it wasn't too harsh.

Cap'n Bob said...

Not sure if I get Bravo. If I do I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the heads up.