Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Am I crazy

to start writing a second book about the same character when I originally thought she was too dark to carry a first novel? Plus I have no idea if that novel will find an agent and publisher. Do people do that--write sequels before the first novel is a sure thing?
I keep trying to return to writing short stories but Violet's still in my head and noticing things through my eyes. Maybe this means by the end of the book she wasn't such a bad girl. Or do people write sequels about not-so-nice protagonists. Of course, I don't mean a Hannibal Lector or Dexter sort of protag. Just your ordinary grumpy, bitchy woman. What do you think?

8 comments:

Megan said...

What's the worst thing that will happen? Two unsold novels in the drawer instead of one. Somehow, I think you'll survive. :)

The best? Reduced pressure if you get a nice multi-book deal.

It sounds like your opportunity cost is not writing short fiction that can't, at the moment, hold your attention. If you're in a good rhythm with this character, there's no reason not to write about her.

Jim Winter said...

I wrote a follow up to my first novel before shopping it.

Now, if I hadn't sold it to an idiot in his garage...

mybillcrider said...

I once asked Dan J. Marlowe about his novels, and he told me that he'd written three books in the Johnny Killain series before he sold one.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Maybe I'll give it a whirl. It has to be either good or bad luck and some good luck just has to be heading my way.

Christa M. Miller said...

I have three sequels planned to the unagented novel. Shoot me now.

pattinase (abbott) said...

No, you me.

Stephen Blackmoore said...

I think it's a great idea.

As Megan says, the worst that can happen is that you have two novels in the drawer instead of one.

And writing the second might give you some insights into the first that you didn't consider.

You're at a point right now where you can do what you want without fear of deadlines, contracts or having writing a novel be what keeps food on the table.

I say go for it. Better to regret something you've done that regret something you haven't.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of anxieties, if you don't look at Lee Goldberg's blog, you might want to look at this:

http://leegoldberg.typepad.com/a_writers_life/2007/12/welcome-to-my-l.html